Jared913

Feb 8, 2003
I was wondering when do you know if your kid is going to be fast cat or is he always be a step behind??? My kid has just turned 7 we started last year on a pw50 then last July went got King Cobra he is fast locally but outside that we struggle.Know we have a Kx 60 and the King but everybody keeps tell me that one day it will click and you be trying to slow him down.Is there a point that you will know that he is never going to make it Nationally??He has all the equipment plus just built 1/2 mile mx track just for him is there way to speed the process or just sit back relax and let it come to him??? One thing on my side is theat he loves it more than any other kid we are around.

Roost165

Nov 18, 2002
Race him but keep it fun. Like play games that teach him skills like see who can pull the longest wheelie and stuff like that. The key to teaching a little kid is making it fun. Letting him design some spots on the track will defianately make him more interested.

Luft

Dec 24, 2002
You will know he's fast when you start getting scared. You will tell him to slow down and smooth out and he will still go fast. The faster you go the harder you crash. I feel really bad when my kid crashes. I tell him to slow down and require him to go slower and he still can keep pace with me with ease. The fast kids know good technique. Teach the technique and reinforce good technique. Be patient, everyone has their moment. Jeremy didn't start racing motorcycles until he was 15 if I'm correct.

MikeS

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Patience by the parents is important. Most of all is keep it fun and challenging in a direction he like. As a parent keep an open mind and adjust his actions with positive reactions on your part.

Make sure the kid does not put to much pressure on himself. One day it will all start to click. Just remember he may get to a level and that will be it for him. Some kids will never be national caliber but enjoy being the local terror for a long time.

Jared913

Feb 8, 2003
Is there a point or an age that you will know that their not going to make it Nationally?Or just keep them going even if they get 13 or older??

80dad

Dec 7, 2002
it is there commitment not yours if they are having fun and the local terror, it is time to start going to bigger races you dont get faster by beatting the same kids over and over but by pushing to pass the kid in front of you. as long as they are having fun what does it matter it is for the kid not you isn't it?

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
I think you have to let them have fun. Think about this. Lets say you really push the kid and he gets fast as can be. If he does not like it, he will end up quitting. Oh, he will also hate you for pushing him so hard and not letting him do what he wanted to do.

Have some fun and let the kid be 7. There are many benefits of racing even if he never gets to be great.

As a dad I think your cool to ask for others opinions.

I hope I do not sound liek an ass. This stuff bothers me. My father was a semi-professional baseball pitcher. Obviously, he wanted me to make it to that next level. One small problem....I cannot throw a baseball. No talent at all for this. I ended up hating the game.

Motorcycles became my escape. 33 years later I still ride. I still cannot throw a ball!

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
My sons are 5 and 10, neither one will be the next Bubba Stewart or R.C. They have fun racing. they don't win, but they really love the sport. Let your kid enjoy it and you have fun watching. Do not try to push or you will ruin the fun. The real reward will be the relationship you build with your kids.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Most everyone hits it. Let the kid have fun and progress at his level. You can help out by seeing that he gets good instruction along the way and gets the opportunity to ride as much as possible. Don't kill the urge for him by execesively pushing for results. Most kids that dominate the local scene won't even qualify for the big regonals but if he wants to do it let him try- you never know.
My son loves riding and racing. His results locally are usually in the top 15 to 20% of the class but he loves it so we do it together. There is a fine line between encouraging him and pushing him that we try to stay aware of in order o keep it fun but still work to improve results.
He dreams of one day lining up at a SX or National and there is no way I will tell him to lose that dream.

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
wow, I'm 16, want to race but there is no way in God's green earth that my parents will let me. They say it is too dangerous. Amazing how there is such a huge difference in parents...

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with teaching technique and let the speed come. If he rides with the correct body positioning at each obstacle he will become faster and look more in control. When they are in control its also less nerve racking to watch.
I can tell when Josh is trying to go to fast because he gets lazy and forgets his fundamentals and usually crashes hard. This often gets him asking me to practice body position on the stand with him. Give them credit they know when, especially if your their for support. :thumb:

Keep it fun & Safe.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom