KIPS cleaning...how long is a piece of string?

COMBEN

Nov 7, 1999
Over time, carbon builds up on the sub port valves and causes them to seize in their bore. When they do, the geared advancer shaft strips the gears form the sub port valves rendering them useless. To prevent the valves from seizing its important to remove and clean the valves anytime the top end is disassembled for service. Proper jetting and the use of a quality two-stroke oil will also increase the life span of the KIPS system by preventing an excessive build-up of carbon on the exhaust valves. A tell tail sign of sub-port valve damage is the loss of bottom end power.

Yes, I know this is a "how long is a piece of string" question but I was just wondering what owners are doing about maintenace intervals regarding their KIPS systems, and is the this KIPS valves 'siezing up' a real issue or a 'webmyth'?
I was thinking that with my useage, wide open on the road every 4th day to clear her lungs for say 10 miles and a lot of short shifting off-road is this cleaning the type of thing you do every say... yearly top-end rebuild...maybe every 1,000 miles, every other year?
....my previous 220R did 8/9K km before the engine was rebuilt and she only needed main bearings and rings although the rings weren't out of tolerance, yes there was lot of carbon but the valves were still working OK.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The oil used and the jetting set-up have a big effect on how 'clean' the KIPS runs.

Pre 'H' models had a lot more problems with stripping/breaking.

I've seen KIPS parts far more crudded up in 6 months than mine have ever been..even after 3-4 years.

It's easy enough to check KIPS operation..not only to make sure all the parts are still there and work as they should, but to determine how gunked up it all is, too. Check it fairly often, fix it if it's broke.

re: 8-9k on a 220 before rebuild.

Some 220's have grenaded in a few hours when the piston came apart.

I guess those owners had very short strings.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Just did a top end in my 2003 220 and the valves were still free, though a little gooey. The piston was good too.

Top Bottom