KIPS not working at 6000 RPMS +

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Problem:

In checking out my rebuild, I marke a spot on the advancer shaft and watched it while I revved the engine...nothing happens, but the shaft isn't loose or anything. Any ideas where to check it? My gut is telling me that perhaps the mechanism off the main cog isn't working right.

Questions:

1) the KIPS should operate even when in neutral, right?
2) what should the shaft "feel" like after reassembly? when I try to operate mine by hand it is popping out of position in the case then it feels loose and freely turns (not good, right?)

Thanks, fellas.

Imathorp

Dec 29, 2003
the way this operates reminds me of the goeverner on my 49 Ford 8N tractor. they are centrifugal. did you take the advancer and wieghts and stuff apart?

did you inpect the balls and the surface they ride and make sure they had no flat spots or grooves worn in them?

also check shaft the slider rides and make sure its clean and not gaulded.

did you get the foot back on in the right spot?

if you take the foot off can you operate the top end part of the KIPS easily? its not hanging in the head somewhere is it?

you might have to ride it with the cover off and see if its moving. a dry rev might not be a long enough time for it to move. and i wouldnt think a sustained dry rev on a fresh rebuild of any kind is a good thing.

good luck

KnoxKDX

Jan 29, 2003
Thanks for the reply. Actually, I said fresh, but it's been broken in. I have had this entire mechanism apart (so definitely something I did, no doubt). Gorr did the porting on it while it was apart, so I'm sure the top part of the KIPS was done properly and it does move freely when the bear-claw isn't attached. I'm guessing I haven't put it together right, but will take the cap off to inspect while I'm headed down the road.

Something else occurred to me when realizing this was centrifugal...wonder if anyone has tried to find the ball bearing type weights in a different weight to alter the KIPS point of engagment? Seems that heavier would make it open sooner and lighter would go later.

UPDATE:

As it turns out, I did do something wrong during reassembly, but not sure exactly what. The spacers and needle bearings were slightly warped and the governor pin was scored. To troubleshoot: I knew what the bike felt like the way it was, so I disengaged the the bear-claw on the shaft that operates the KIPS in the top stuff and manually opened it. The bike ran like Fido's butt till I got about 4500 RPMs (guessing) and then Shazaam!!! I got to see what EG's porting was supposed to feel like...4th gear wheelies were no problem and I know when back together, this bike will mortally fly! So that was it. :thumb:

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…