KIPS subports and main port out of phase??

sasrocks

Nov 10, 2002
Is is possible for the kips to be put bvack together so that the main and subports are out of phase? currently, when the kips shaft (behind LH cover) is at 12 oclock (< 6K rpm ?-please confirm):

subports are 50% open
main port is low (smaller)
resonator is closed

turning the shaft counterclockwise to ~ 10 oclock (> 6K rpm ?) yields:

subports closed
main port high (bigger)
resonator open.

This has to be wrong - please confirm that this is a) possible b) indeed incorrect and c) what to do to fix it.

also when returning to 12 oclock (closed/below 6Krpm,) it does not go all the way back, but stops on its own at about 11:30.

history
bought a 97 220 - ran like crap on top - just hit a wall. I suspected kips clogged so had it looked into. recommended top end I concurred after inspection (originial piston)

broke it in still runs weak on top. Got the RB carb done not expecting it to fix that but still it just won't rev out at all! was considering rev pipe (gnarly on now).

Please tell me whether I am on target with the conclusion the KIPS is out of phase. :coocoo:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Don't know about the o'clock positions of the shaft under the LH cover...I've never looked at it from that reference point.

50% open on the subports? Again, not sure of the reference point you are using, but they shouldn't be 50% of anything when either at rest OR activated.

I'm missing something in the semantics.....

Subports 'closed' or 'open' would be in reference to what they are closed or open TO, right? If the subports are 'closed', that is generally considered to be the 'at rest' state, below 6k rpm, the passage to the resonator is open. When they are 'open', they are assisting (adding area to?) the main exhaust stream and the resonator is closed.

Take a look at CDave's site: http://justkdx.dirtrider.net/

He has a nice animation of the whole thing...under 'Tech Tips' 'KIPS valves explained'.

Basically, the statement::
'subports closed
main port high (bigger)
resonator open.'

..is NOT correct...but I think it's a matter of definition of closed/open? In any case, the resonator should not be 'open' (exposed to exhaust gasses) when the main port is 'high' (bigger).

TAKE NOTE!! From CDave's site:

Canadian Dave said:
At 6000 rpm the slide valve snaps open, the sub ports snap shut.... (bold is my emphasis)

Shut? Really? Well the passage to the resonator is 'snapped' shut..but the subport drums snap open to the exhaust port.

See what I mean about semantics?

If the subports are 1/2 way in either direction at rest, something is not right.

Can the KIPS be put together INcorrectly? Yep.

Is that helpful? Hope so.

Maybe my eyes are just crossed..... :ugg:

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom