KIPS valve

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
How reliable is the KIPS valve? Also how difficult is it to replace, do you have to pull the cylinder?

Also, for anyone who might know... how does the low end torque of a 95 and later 200/220 compare to the low end torque of an 83-85 non powervalved KDX200?
Thanks

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
KIPS on newer kdxs are more reliable than some older versions. What year are you talking about? Some earlier models are notorious for gear/tooth breakage.

I haven't messed with mine with the cylinder ON..but I think it is accessible that way. Would be a major pain and not at all worth the effort, but it's accessible.

Johnnyboy

Aug 25, 2001
I'm looking for a 95-2001. So what's the deal if the KIPS gear breaks? Is it expensive to fix? Will it prevent the motorcycle from being ridden or does it just impare top end power?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
If the main shaft strips (or any other gear strips I guess)..you don't end up with something that can't be ridden...just won't run well.

If the actuator shaft breaks (usually due to not being supported during disassy) or is STRESSED and later breaks during operation, you can end up with pieces of it being lodged in some highly dangerous places. Major engine damage can result.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…