drk98

Mar 30, 2002
A friend of mine bought a 2006 KLX250R because he wanted a decent trail machine that he and his dad could use to commute daily. Now he is trying to undo some of the government restrictions and make it more trail oriented.

He has currently installed a FMF Powercore 4(SA) slip on and had it rejeted. Lowered gearing.(4 teeth in the rear, I think) Now he wants to change the ignition box. I haven't heard much about performance gains or different brands on these. I read a post earlier that said a guy got less that one horsepower and improved throttle response on a CRF450. If thats it, I'd get a cam, PowerNow, or even bore it out. For those of you who didn't know the engine in this bike is almost identical to a KLX300. Does any one know if there's a performance gain in putting a 300 ignition on the 250. I figured they are the same unless the government interviened and choked it down a bunch. He only wants to spend around $100 and doesn't want to mess with computer software although switching between premade maps would be cool.

Thanks!

hot125mod

Jan 14, 2007
r u talking about the jd ignition from pro circuit. it probably has a slight ignition advance and thats where the little bit of power comes from.

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
Hot125mod,
He had no certain model in mind. I don't know much about ignition mods and have no intention of messing with my ignition on my bike.(because it already smokes his bike! :laugh: :nener: ) He just wondered if there was many choices out there and if any of them are worth the price.

2 strokes for life,
I didn't know you could put the 365 kit on the KLX250. I know they're the same engine just bored differently but that seems like quite a jump. I'm sure that would give him all the power he wanted though! :nod: One problem would be major over heating in town driving and trails. His bike actually has an electric fan that turns on when the engine gets hot(for stop and go traffic). He said it turned on just trail riding on a 85 degree day. I think he should have bought the KLX300 instead. It's a lot lighter because of Estart and battery :| . Better yet a KDX200 with DS kit! :laugh:

Thanks for the advice! Glad to see there's still some 2 stroke fans out there.

Top Bottom