ian hall

Nov 10, 2002
I want to get a pair of knee braces. Does anyone have any comments on the EVS RS7,s. These are cheaper than CTI,s and Asterisk,but are they as good?

Thanks

Ian Hall

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I'm in the same boat. I know the Asterisk is probably the way to go but money is tight right now. Hopefully someone can give some feedback on EVS RS7 knee brace. My old knee injury is really acting up and I have to do something quick before I really screw things up.

Thanks,
Neal

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
My last emergency room visit for a small endo and banged knee cost me $1500.00
Don't let the bucks be the deciding factor. Do your homework.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
MX-727,

I think you are missing the point!!! It's not as if we are selling our knees short. After all we are looking into buying knee braces. I believe the original post as well as my initial response was intended to find out if the EVS braces are in the same ballpark as the Asterisk. There was one response that actually gave a comparison between the two braces by stating that the Asterisk offers more protection and comfort. That is the kind of info I was looking for. By the way after researching the topic thouroughly and talking to a couple of helpful guys who have used both braces, I placed my order for the Asterisk braces this morning. Yes, I value my knees tremendously, which is why I was asking for more info regarding the EVS brace.

Neal

skipro3

Mod Ban
Dec 14, 2002
What about comparing Asterisk to the new EVS Carbon Fiber? Thoughts please, but provide reasons beyond just that is what you bought. Why is one better than the other? Be as specific as possible. This is too much money to spend without field reports. Thanks!

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Ok Neal, but you said in your post that "I know the Asterisk is probably the way to go but money is tight right now." That's why I answered the way I did. I thought you already knew the merits of the braces.

Didn't mean to offend.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
I just got home from working out of town all week or I would have responded sooner. Don't worry about it MX I can see how you might have misinterperted my comment. By the way have you ever tried a $30 helmet from Wal-Mart? Just joking!

Neal

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I have been using the RS-6's (forerunner of the RS-7) for a couple of seasons. They are certainly better than running just knee cups and I do feel that they have saved me some grief. If you have damaged knees already, they will not be enough support. My right knee has a torn PCL partially torn ACL, and a lot of meniscus damage. I recetly upgraded to the Web for my right knee and there is an unbelieveable difference in the level of support, if I don't crash I have no pain or stiffness after riding, that was NOT so with the RS-6. When I did the upgrade i was prety happy with my EVS stuff but it was a hard decision, I had saved up $350, should I go for the immediate upgrade for the bad leg or keep saving for the Cells. In the end I went riding at our local practice track slid out in a 2nd gear turn and tweeked my rt knee so bad I couldn't walk well for a week from the swelling, so I went right down to the shop and got the Web. I really like the brace, but the difference between the Web and the RS-6 has made me skeptical about the RS-6's protection. Hope this helps, I would definitely reccomend wearing something so you don't end up with damage in the first place.

Drewa51

May 1, 2001
You're the first person I've run into on any MX boards that actually owns an EVS WEB brace. I've been torn between the Web and Asterisk for a while now, with the price being essentially the same. Any chance you can give an in-depth review of the brace...likes/dislikes? Maybe some info on the strap system, feel when riding, or info on how the braces treat pants/graphics?
Thanks,
Drew

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
My impression of the Web is that it is a really good quality brace, but with a few things I would like to see improved. The attatchment system is a let down, there are 4 velcro straps across the back. Even though I ordered according to the sizing chart the one on the lower thigh, (second from the top) seems a littl short. I do have big legs, but that's why I ordered the XL. I have seen Asterisks system and I think it looks better, but since my buddy that runs those is a bird legged geek, I haven't tried them. There is a neoprene velcro flap that fastens directly behind the knee and it does a great job of keeping the brace in place. The fit is very secure, but the straps can dig in a little. if your boots are snug at the tops, the braces are a little big. I think that the Web is a little bulky under race pants. I have Thor core 3's and they fit fine under them, but the msr pants reguire a little work, the straps hang on tho the liner and the MSR's don't have quite enough room fo the brace and my BEEF sized leg at then knee. I havent noticed any diffference in wear on the pant liner between the Web and the RS-6, I dont have graphics issues, because Honda was kind enough to put an aluminum rub plate on the side of my CR cleverly disguised as the frame. I have had three major get offs that I am sure would have left me limping before I switched out the right brace, and the brace has perfomed flawlessly. It has gotten more comfortable, the strap bucl=kled kind of mold to your leg, and feels more secure than ever. I have even started to extend my right leg in turns again (don't laugh, I didn't for a long time) Hope this helps. If I can answer any more either PM me or ask again in this thread.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Originally posted by Monkey Butt
My old knee injury is really acting up and I have to do something quick before I really screw things up.

If you have a previous injury that you've seen a doctor about it might be worth finding out if you can get a custom brace with a prescription. You might be limited in the selection of what you can get by what your doctor recommends, but chances are it would be a custom fit model. Obviously only pertains if you have insurance that would cover it and a doctor willing to give you a prescription. Just trying to cover all the options here!

Good info on the EVS Web, BTW. Since I'm only getting a custom brace for my left knee it might be worthwhile to buy a single one for my right leg.

Drewa51

May 1, 2001
Beef706,
I'll use the thread so others can see the info as well...

Just one more question for you...what is your experience with EVS, if any? Have you talked to anyone at EVS about the strap length issue (in your case)?

I just hear a lot of people touting Asterisk customer service as one of it's big selling points, and want to get a read on how EVS backs it's products.

Thanks
Drew

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
I emailed them about the strap length and they said they would consider it in future production runs, offered me a discount on an extension strap. (I had already used one on on my old RS-6's and didn't like the feel with the extension. Though I haven't had much reason to deal with EVS, my feeling is that they are less involved in general than Asterisk. I spend a fair amount of time on the boards here and have seen many examples of going above and beyond by the Asterisk crew. Not really a knock on EVS, more of an attaboy for Asterisk.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom