knee/shin guards - did not work?!?

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
I have to say that I was not very impressed, in fact I was pretty mad, with the protection that my Fox brand knee/shin guards gave me. I was riding trails and came across a nice area to jump. Someone took our their camera to get some shots (you all know what happened next). Long story short....I land and go over the handlebars. Luckily nothing was broken I had all my gear on and did manage to scratch up pretty much everything. But I was wearing my knee guards and still managed to get a rock directly on my kneecap which is now bruised pretty badly. That could have been bad news. I have those knee/shin guards that strap around your calf, and sort of hang/flap over your kneecap. I think I'm switching to some rollerhockey or skateboard knee protectors that have staps on both sides of your kneecap. Who knows, maybe it would have been worse had I not been wearing them, but I'm not sure they did any good, anyone else?!?

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I have the FOX brand that sound a lot like what you described and I must say that they worked rather well on Saturday afternoon.:)

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
are they the Fox Pivot guards? is the knee cap area hinged from the shin guard? i was looking into buying these, but now im having second thoughts.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I wear the Fox Ventilator knee/shin guards, and crashed a few times in them. One time in particular, I was wearing jeans instead of my riding pants, met a quad nearly head on and went down in third gear. Very dry, hard and rocky ground. The crash ripped out my jeans at my knee and left some deep scratches on my knee guard but no injury. I will not ride without them.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I have had the older pivot guards for about 2 years. They look well worn with lots of deep scratches on them. I've had no knee injuries since I've been wearing them and I had plenty before. Actually not quite true. When I first got them I was not wearing them properly and they tended to slide down inside my pants or got pushed down by the crossbar when I went over the bars..

Staley8

Jan 29, 2001
the type I was wearing

I was wearing the regular Fox knee/shin guards, not the Ventilator and not the pivots. I was also not wearing riding pants, just some old jeans. I think the pivots would probably have done a much better job. I just didn't want to spend the $45, so I opted for $15. I realize you get what you pay for, but I still think they should have done a little better job. I am just not that happy with the way they tend to slide down.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Staley, were you wearing them on the outside of your jeans? They will move around much less on the inside of your pants. Something else that may help - I do my straps up in the opposite direction to get the tension in the good spot.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom