James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Hi all,

I did some mods to my bike(xr650) and i'm afraid i've screwed it up. I read an article on "uncorking" the xr650, and did what they said to do, take airbox restrictor out, remove baffle, rejet, all that. the thing I was worried about was the jetting, but it ran PERFECT when I rejetted, so I never thought twice about it. Anyway...been riding it for a few months now uncorked, and this morning when I went out to ride it was making a knocking noise. I tried to pinpoint the noise, and I think its in the cylinder. I rode in a good bit of mud last week, but I washed everything off really good and made sure not to get any water in the airbox or exhaust. Any ideas? I'm guessing i'm really screwed if it's a knocking piston....ain't gonna be cheap. I tried to listen, and it sounded like I might have heard a snapping sound after I had already heard the knocking as well, but it's hard to tell since I can't ride on pavement. Please help!

James

James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
I don't think the gas should be old....it's only been in there about two weeks.

I just don't know what to think....I can hardly hear it unless i'm listening for it. Would it be normal? If it was, I don't know why I would have noticed it all of a sudden. The bike runs fine and everything....It's just a small ticking noise. I've never had this happen before, so it's new to me. I have no clue what to look for, so any advise would be great.

James

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
James - are we talking a ticking like a TAP TAP TAP TAP (faster obviously) - or a KNOCK - which would be a clank - piston knock is unmistakable - start it up and let it run - while still cold snap the throttle a little bit - if you've got a worn piston (worn past its limit) it should knock under that load.....IF its simply tapping - it just might be time to adjust the valves. Could it be that it always sounded like that and since doing the mods now you take more of a notice? that happens to me a lot - I almost sh*T myself when I rebuilt a KDX...man it sounded like death - until I had some other owners confirm their make some weird clanking noises too. Hope that helps.

James Miller

Jul 26, 2002
Alright...Thanks, i'll go get the valves checked. You are right, its more of a tapping sound than a clank. It's hardly noticable, I just like to catch things before the detonate....Thanks for the help!

James

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom