crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
I want to paint my side panels and I'm considering using hte kylon fusion paints.

I have a green tank/shrouds with a black/green flamer seat cover and a black rear MX style fender.

My idea is to paint the front of the side covers green then fade it into black near the back of the bike.

I hear the krylon isn't very durable, but I havn't heard of anyone clear coating the paint. I was thinking if I put on a few good coats of krylong fusion then a few good solid coats of clear coat it should be durable. Has anyone else tried this?

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
Yep and it still chipped / flaked when scratched. Oh and to get the bodged paint off pour boiling water on it then dip it in cold water and it peels right off.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
I had pretty good luck with Fusion on KDX plastic. Granted, I painted white-over-white (side panels), but as long as I kept fuel and Brakleen off of 'em the paint held up pretty good. I cleaned the side panels with hot soapy water, then some lacquer thinner as I recall (do a spot check if you try it) and another round of soap and water.

Any time you contrast colors (paint black over white) you're sure to notice any paint weakness (chipping, scratching etc) much more easily.

re: 'bodged paint'

That's not good, right?

Just kidding. I remember the Aussie primer awhile back. Like...you can't tell what that means by its useage? ;)

dsndblm

Jul 12, 2003
Try going to an automotive paint supply store and ask for DuPont plastic paint. I used some at work a few years ago and it worked great. The paint has a solvent in it that softens a very small amout of the surface being painted allowing the paint to stick better and be quite durable.

Be sure to remove all the bodged paint before painting or you will end up with another dodged up paint job! I love that Aussie slang!

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
JasonWho said:
KAY DEE EXER, the last time I saw them, they were by your diggeradoo. :-)

crazymike, let us know how the painting turns out.

I'm kind of nervous now :/

I put on my black fender today thinking the white side panels would look bad, but they look decent.

I have to put on a new set of graphics and then take pics and decide wether or not it's worth painting.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Krylon has at least two different whites. The 'whiter' of the two is considerably whiter than the oem sidecovers.

Haven't tried the more ivory of the two. That looked completely off to me..but I didn't have a sidecover with me to compare it to.

You might take one along if you're paint shopping. Not that anything you find in a can is likely to fit perfectly, but you will have a better chance of getting as close as you can to the original high-dollar finish that is Kawi!

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
JASONWHO... The problem im having is I think I left my diggeradoo at last weekends big corroboree. I think I drank to much Metho... LOL.

Now before anyone thinks I'm being r.acist I have aboriginal blood (even if it is a minute amount) so Im allowed to ridicule myself, Aren't I? :thumb:

Why cant we type r.acist?

crazymike

Aug 10, 2000
KAY DEE EXER said:
JASONWHO... The problem im having is I think I left my diggeradoo at last weekends big corroboree. I think I drank to much Metho... LOL.

Now before anyone thinks I'm being r.acist I have aboriginal blood (even if it is a minute amount) so Im allowed to ridicule myself, Aren't I? :thumb:

Why cant we type r.acist?

needs moar vegimite

KAY DEE EXER

~SPONSOR~
Mar 3, 2003
I live on vegemite crumpets, witchetty grubs and kangaroo stew. Well crickey is it that time already I gotta go and take the croc for a walk.....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom