Gary Simpson

May 21, 2003
Has anyone seen or heard any reports or experienced the new KTM 85 2003 model. We finally get it in Aus. in september this year and the boy will be upgrading to an 85 then. Any thoughts or any problems?

FMFHonda161

Jul 11, 2002
I forgot who it was but someone that is in this forum pretty often owns one. You could do a search, they posted pictures, ride reports, and compared a little to a yz 85. Just try to search and you'll see much more information than tryin to get everyone to repost the same information.

willtygart

May 10, 2003
I just got my son the 85 on Friday. (it is satruday night) He broke the bike in Friday night and by 9am this morning it was time to fill it up with the reg fuel/oil and let her rip. My son is 9 and has been on 80's since 6. We have owned a Kawi, Yamaha, and we just had a RM85 that I reluctantly traded in on this bike.

I have never seen an 80 that has come close to the quality and power as the KTM!!!! It has power down low, turns so well I couldn't believe it, and my son was flicking the bike around in the air with ease. I was concerned with the height on the bike but the geometry is perfect according to my son. The ergonomics naturally place a rider up on the gas tank and the adjustable bar positioning (forward and back) should make this bike fit just about any sized kid. Everything is easily accesable on the bike.

The Air Filter is HUGE and is the same model as the 125sx. It is side accesable and the suspension dialing is very easy. I have washed the bike three times and my natural instinct is to look for the linkage and clean it....I just grin when I look and remember that there is no linkage or bearings to worry about down there! The bike is supprisingly quiet compared to our RM85 with a shorty pipe and the clutch is awesome.

The only complaints that I have are that the breaks seem a little small for the size of bike and I would like to see a bigger caliper in the future.The side gasket (clutch) also leaks a little and I have heard from other KTM owners that they had the same problem.

I could go on and on about the little things like being able to see the gas level when your kid goes whizing by, the heavy duty spokes, excel rims, PIRELLI TIRES, Steel braided break line, cylinder head with interchangable inserts, awesome break resovoir set up, wide foot pegs, and on and on and on!

There is not an 80 made that is as trick as this bike (yes, even more then the TM) and if you are even thinking about buying the bike when they become available put your deposit down now!

Gary Simpson

May 21, 2003
Thank you so much for that info mate really appreciate it. The deposit is on the bike, sounds awesome. We dont get it in Oz til september so if there are any teething problems before then let us know. Thanks again.....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom