ktm's

Dec 31, 2008
what do you guys think of ktms? im a honda guy, but the ktm's are starting to grow on me, although I have never ridden one. Im looking at getting a new bike as I dont even own a bike right now, and im starting to look at the ktms. i know that the ktms are not all that popular but does anyone think that may change as all the kids right now start out on all those little ktm 65's so you would imagine when they are adults they will probably like ktms too.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I love mine. I had one of the few orange bikes when I started racing D-37 in 2003. Now its hard to find a bike that's not orange at an enduro.

I'm not sure where you are at but they are very popular out here in California.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
All I know is just about all the enduro riders around MI seem to be in love with the KTMs. My son, a die-hard Yamaha 250 2 stroke MX rider is probably going to get a KTM 300 2 stroke for MX. The bike is race ready, hydraulic clutch, and many other trick out-of-the-box parts. I'll stick with my euro bikes - Maicos :boss:

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
It is funny how honda out sells KTM's 10 to 1 but you go to a off road race and it will be 50 to 1 ktm. I have ridden KTM's for the last 12 years with a 05 honda 450fx sliped in just to remind me that the KTM is a way better woods bike. For play or race you can't beat them. Out of the box ready. This Is from a old Honda support rider that has a garage full of hondas and prefers to ride and work on his KTM"s

Dec 31, 2008
well i have always been a honda guy. i plan on riding both track and desert/trails equally. Heres what I dont get, why are 2 strokes the choice for trail riding now?

So I have to ask what is it about your guys ktms you like so much?

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Here in the Midwest just about all I see in the woods are orange bikes, the majority of my friends are on them too. The other bikes?... lots of blue 4-strokes.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
redneckbillybob said:
Heres what I dont get, why are 2 strokes the choice for trail riding now?

Lighter, easier to start hot if you stall, and a bit less prone to boil over at low speeds, in my opinion.

Bonehead

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 15, 2001
I think the four stroke fad has faded and guys are going back to two strokes One for the cost of maintainance and the ease of maintainance.Then the light nimble feeling you get on a two stroke.
I run race gas and a electric fan on my 525's (ktm hard parts) never have the over heating problem.
If Im going to go an a 50 mile 2hr blitz I would prefer a 250 or 300 if Im going for a hope you make it back by dark 100mile tillupuke I mutch prefer my 525
I think you need one of every model and I hope to have a 150 next

Dec 31, 2008
i was looking at the ktm 150 or maybe getting a cr 125 and a 153 kit for it.

so why did everyone used to use 4 strokes for trails than if 2 strokes are better for it now? i remember the xr being the king trail bike

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
redneckbillybob said:
so why did everyone used to use 4 strokes for trails than if 2 strokes are better for it now? i remember the xr being the king trail bike

You could wtite a thesis for college based on that question grasshopper - Who ever say's one bike "has been king" probably did not study 2 wheel history back to when round wheels were being turned out. XR's were/are bulletproof and hence all-around great fun trail bikes. J. Campbell used the bigger XRs to tear up Baja! That's not the beginning thou. There were 2 strokes taering thru the woods before that (too many brands to mention) and before that 4 strokes were there as well all the way back to the turn of the century (not 2000 BTW). If you want to know what's good today head on over to the trail system, enduro, mx track, whatever, and see for yourself. All the advise here is only an small serving of knowledge. I know guys who swear by YZ250 2 strokes for woods weapons and their rivals all ride KTMs That the flavor in MI right now. I do think, IMHO, that when you rip some single track, the 2 stroke is a little eaiser to start when stalled, plus I like the smell. The KTM is just such a nice bike with all it's features. Milled triples, large clear tanks, hyd clutch, brembo brakes, etc, etc. If you want a bike you can ride hard and put away wet I'd look for a bone stock XR250 and go play.

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
KTM's (esp 2T ones) dominate the offroad races here in the midwest. I myself ride a 300xcw. I think a lot of it is because ktm continues to develop their line of 2T offroad specific bikes... while the best you can do with other manufacturers is buy an old and/or outdated 2T mx bike and convert it to a trail bike/woods racer.... Not to mention they also make a very quality machine.

If I still raced MX, then I would probably have a newer Japanese 450 4T... but since I only ride trails, do light mx play riding, and race harescrambles, I'll stick to my 2T katooms.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
My son has and loves a KTM150, they are well built and easy to work on. As reliable as any other. IMO Honda outsells KTM because Honda has a better marketing team (where are all the KTM commercials). If you will look back, they used the same weight distribution/balance jargon to justify going back to a single silencer setup on the 250F as they did when they introduced it. A good marketing team will make new customers want your product, and there is a lot of brand loyalty in this world. Once you squeeze a hydraulic clutch, you will have a hard time with anything else. Personally, the Honda ergonomics don't work for me.

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
FruDaddy said:
Honda outsells KTM because Honda has a better marketing team

Yeah, that must be it ... :coocoo:

Dec 31, 2008
I was looking at the KTM150xc, i do plan to ride track alot, but trails as well, about both evenly. The reason I like hondas its thats what i rode as a kid and was my first bike. I really would like to get a cr125 but i have read so many bad reviews about the bikes. I just like the look of the KTM's but dont know much about them other than that. From the reviews that I have read about them, they seem to have great motors, and soft suspension, and recently have linked rear suspension. The review on this bike seems it would be great choice for me.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_1005_ktm_150_xc/photo_02.html

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
FYI... Husky's making a 150 too. The Germans at BMW own Husky now, but I believe the Italians are still putting them together. Sweet looking bike and I hear they're runners too.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
FYI... Husky's making a 150 too. The Germans at BMW own Husky now, but I believe the Italians are still putting them together. Sweet looking bike and I hear they're runners too.

I just went to the dark side and bought an 09' TE310. I think Im really going to like this scooter.

rayovac

Aug 28, 2000
After years of Hondas... near 12 years ago 1989 CR125, 1990 CR250 and finally a 1998 CR250 then got out of riding. When I came back about 2 years ago... I started with a 2003 CRF450, then got a 2008 CRF250. I liked the smaller CRF250 much better... but felt the 4T made me lazy. I hated all the seemingly extra maintenance... worrying about valve shimming, oil filters, two different fluids in the motor etc.

My riding buddy was also on a Honda 4T, 2005 CRF450. He broke his femur on a jump about 8 weeks ago. We both took this opportunity to sell the Hondas.

My buddy picked up a 2004 KTM 200sx a few weeks ago and last weekend I found a 2010 KTM 150 sx. Have not had a chance to ride on a track yet, but the little bit of tinkering and just sitting around marveling at the engineering, factory accessories etc.... I am truly impressed. I will NOT miss the four stroke madness. Love the smell of pre-mix in the morning!!! :)

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Rich Rohrich said:
Yeah, that must be it ... :coocoo:
come to the orange, Rich . . .

Attachments

• Rick James.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 100

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
One of the reasons that KTM is tearing it up in offroad is their line up. They have more configurations of both 2 and 4 strokes than the rest of their competitors combined.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
tx246 said:
One of the reasons that KTM is tearing it up in offroad is their line up. They have more configurations of both 2 and 4 strokes than the rest of their competitors combined.

And they are still developing the 2 strokes, while their Japan competition has thrown in the towel.

I had a ride on the 250 XC during a KTM ride day. Sweet machine .

Now...... if they'd just get the e-start to work reliably on the 2 strokes. Is that too much ask from a 9K+ bike? :coocoo:

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…