KX 100 Carb issue. Too much fuel. Help!!

Rikster

Mar 22, 2010
Hi people, i'm new to this site but from what ive seen you guys know what your talking about.

I have an issue with my carb. It might be simple to you but i'm not exactly a motobike mastermind like u guys. The reason im saying this is because I see alot of new people getting flamed at by experienced members for asking simple questions, when really they should be helping new guys into the community.

Basically I have a KX 100 and it keeps bogging out, barely increasing speed, and even in higher revs it goes slow. In 3rd gear it will backfire and bog out completely. Sometimes I kick it and it runs fine and wheelies as usual. I flipped it yesterday cuz it decided to run properly and I weren't expecting it lol.

If I turn the fuel off while running, just as the carb is running low on fuel it will start to run properly which is why I know this is the problem. I have tried adjusting the float level so it cuts the fuel off sooner but no luck. The carb and jets are clean and I have tried adjusting the timing screw and the air screw. No luck.

Any suggestions? Could it be tthe size of the main jet or something? Any help will be greatly apreciated. Thanks. luv you lots :)

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
The main jet only affects midrange and up, the pilot circuit and jet affects the off idle up to midrange.

My opinion would be to find out what stock setting were for everything. jet sizes, air screw position, needle clip position, disassembly it, and blow out every oriface in the whole carb, then set everything to stock. The float level should usually be level with the carb body when you hold it upside down.

Make sure your air filter is clean and oiled, and that the exhaust isn't restricted with carbon (Does it have a spark arrestor that could be clogged?). Make sure your choke is seating correctly and that the plunger is stil lin good shape with rubber in the bottom to seal against the choke opening.

If you messed with timing, also set that to stock as well. That can cause bogging/backfiring. Check for good consistent bright blue spark.

If it still doesn't run right...

You might have a failing coil or stator. Not sure if these can cause intermittent issues or of they just fail and you're done. You might want to a search on symptoms of bad stator, but I remember hearing about backfiring and bogging etc. It could also be engine related, leaky seals etc, but usually that makes things run lean and more snappy than normal...

Hopefully I didn't just run you around in a circle. Just some things to check out. Usually, when I pull things apart, clean everything and reassemble to stock settings, it works, even if I didn't really find a noticable problem during the process.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Rikster

Mar 22, 2010
Thanks for the help. Yeah im going to take my carb apart and rebuild it using stock settings. If it doesn't work im gunna buy a carb rebuild kit. Its probably due by now anyway since ive just bought the bike pre owned.

As for the stator. That has recently been re wired properly and tuned and should be fine.

Thanks for the help

speedy1

Jul 21, 2009
I don't really think a rebuild kit is needed unless you have the wrong jet sizes or unless something is damaged. Just make sure everything is clean and open.

If the stator has just been rewound... Did it start doing this right when you installed the new stator? or shortly after? I hate to suggest it, but there is a possibility the stator was improperly wound or that the connections are faulty.

If it ran good at one time, then the stator went out and was replaced and it is still running bad or having issues. I would suspect the stator.

If it never ran right, then you don't really have a benchmark. I wish I could be more help.

Top Bottom