jonemick

Dec 14, 2005
Is a KX 100 too small for an adult 5'9" 155 lbs. ?

I had a 1982 RM 80 when I was a kid. The bike was awesome at the time. Now I'm thinking about getting back into riding and wondering what bike I should get.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
I'm betting that will be too small for you.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I'm 5' 5" and 165 lbs and wanted a small, light, fun, flickable bike to play-race when I'm not riding my KDX200. I considered the KX100 really hard, but ended up with a KX125 instead. Really glad I did. My KX fits me perfectly and I can ride it at speed on the track with no squirrely handling. It has real suspension that can take anything that I can dish out. Had I gotten a KX100, I'd be dealing with a much smaller wheelbase and I'd have to beef up the supension. I play race with everything on the track, including a kid on a KX100, and the 125 really fits the bill. And finally, I got a 2-year old '01 KX125, purchased new in crate in '03, with Pro Taper bars, Pro Circuit pipe and silencer, PR2 suspension, VFII reed cage, new tires, new chain/sprocket for $2000, not much more than what a good used KX100 would've cost. And the 125 was setup for my weight, which a KX100 almost certainly would not.

My advice is to look around at used 125's.

jonemick

Dec 14, 2005
As a followup to my own question. Are today's MX bikes so high strung as to not be very good for riding trails? My 82 RM had pretty good low end pull and worked great on trails. But I haven't been on an MX bike since then.

I'm leaning away from 4-stroke bikes because they seem to weigh a ton compared with the MX bikes. One thing I liked so much about the RM is it was so much lighter then my first motorcycle a 1980 Suzuki DS 125.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
No, quite the opposite. Today's MX bikes are much more tractable and controllable than the old stuff. I wouldn't want to trail-ride my KX125 'cause I've got a KDX200 and I generally ride at 8,000' and up, but I could if I had to. I HAVE been thinking hard about selling both and getting a KX250 to cover all the bases, but I think I'll go this season on the KX/KDX combo.

Daddy-O!!!

Nov 18, 2005
Well-I have a 03 Suzuki rm100(same bike)-And I am 5'7" 175 pounds-I love the bike for the trails around here-I don't race and haven't hit any huge jumps,but I have not really bottomed the bike out through the rougher stuff yet.We just got it New Old Stock-Probally have 3-4hrs.on it.I had bought for my son so we could ride together w/intentions of getting me a KTM125sx-but I will keep Rm100 and go w/a 250sx or250sx-f-If you could get a killer deal on the a new KX100/$2200-$2300,go with it-ride the hell out of it-But there are also great deals on NOS 125's too.Usually around $3400-$3899.OPINIONS VARY-so search this forum and then decide-

There is a vast wealth of info. around here and most are glad to help!!! Jeff

---And if you haven't did a search for-kx100-do it-it will answer alot of ?'s you have.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
The problems with the stock suspension can be easily rectified with about $200 worth of springs (fork and shock).

dez nut

Oct 9, 2005
The KX 100 will definitely be too small for you. A KX or YZ 125 would be much better choices. Also, today's motocrossers are fine for open areas (desert, etc) but are strung pretty tight for serious trail work. If you plan to ride smooth, fast trails, they'll work great. If you are going to riding technical, slow speed stuff (read gnarly), the 125 motocrossers will be a handful.

CrewCab2000

Nov 2, 2005
I dont know if I agree with the other statements that it will be too small for you. I have a KX100 and I am 5'8 and 175lbs and the bike fits me perfectly. Not too small and not too big. The reason I got the 100 over the 125 is because I didnt like how high the 125 was. I use my KX100 for trail riding every weekend and its a good bike for what I use it for. I have yet to bottom out the suspension on small jumps and because of the smaller size I find it very flickable on trails. It also seems to have a little better low end torque for trail riding compared the the 125. Just my opinion though but I am happy with my purchase.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
At 5'9" you are certainly big enough for a full size bike, It all depends on what your expectations are of the bike. If you are looking for a playbike to tool around on that you can easily flat foot it will fill the bill nicely. If you want something to put some serious riding in you are going to hit the limitations of the bike fairly quickly. You don't state what your intended riding is going to be so it's tough to give direct suggestions but if you plan to hit the MX track mainly a 125 would be a good starting point. If you're planning to be a trail rider there is likely no better bike or bargain than the KDX 200/220 to get you back into the sport.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom