jharmon

Aug 1, 2001
New plastic can make it look better. I had an '89 KX 125 a few years ago. It was beat up and it looked like it had been through hell and back. I tried to paint it all black, but when I went throught the weeds, the paint scraped off the plastic and it looked horrible. So I would just go with new plastic.

Don't forget though. If you're a good enough rider, it shouldn't make a difference what the bike look like.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
I don't think anything will really help a '89 KX125....Conventional forks, lone sided radatior, weird designed plastics and seat. I think the best thing to help ti would be to throw the '89 engine in a '90+ chassis.

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
If you throw the engine in a '90+ chassis, don't forget the forks. Say what you want to about inverted forks, the '89 KX 125 had one of the best forks ever made (IMHO)!
As a matter of fact, my old '89 always started by the 3rd kick, ran great and handled like a charm. Who cares what it looks like! It had no trouble keeping up with (and passing) bikes 10 years younger.
Paint the frame, buy a little plastic, and let 'er rip!

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by Durt Cycler
I don't think anything will really help a '89 KX125....Conventional forks, lone sided radatior, weird designed plastics and seat. I think the best thing to help ti would be to throw the '89 engine in a '90+ chassis.
Hey, don't down that bike. I had an '88 and I loved it. The '89 is even better!

WFO

Dec 27, 1999
"CONVENTIONAL FORKS" just means they were the old style, right side up variety; not the inverted forks you see on the KX's today.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Clean it up. New plastic. It them becomes a classic at the track. It will attract more attention looking like an 89 works bike than a new model.

kbud

Aug 28, 2002
My brother has the 89 and its a screamer, just the ergos suck. if you were to put the 89 into a 90 or 91 frame ( i have a 91) you would nees a 90 or 91 head. the head mounts to the fram on the rear on the 89 but on the front on the 90

Top Bottom