kx 125 vs kdx 200 how do the two bike compare?

ava

Apr 13, 2002
How do these 2 bikes compare to one and other power wise can a kx 125 make a better woods bike then a kdx220

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
YES IF YOU WANT TO SPEND ALOT OF MONEY
SUSPENSION REDONE $500-800 IMS TANK $200
TORQUE PIPE& PC 2 $300 LIGHTING COIL AND LIGHT'S$250

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
kx kdx comparison

They compare like they were made on different planets. KDX is much harder to work on and much harder to ride

Mac

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 17, 2000
Re: kx kdx comparison

Originally posted by Robcolo
They compare like they were made on different planets. KDX is much harder to work on and much harder to ride

:think: ?? :think: ????? :think: ???? :think: ??
What planet are you from?

A stock KDX is a beginners trail bike that can be upgraded to an aggressive harescramble bike. Very easy to ride with linear power delivery and a plush seat and suspension for all day riding.

The kx125 has to be ridden @ WOT and is suspended for landing doubles, yes it can be trail ridden but lack of low end power and stiff suspenders make it tougher for a beginner.

Either bike would be a blast to ride but each has it's own nitch in stock form. As agitt73 said if you have alot of cash then the kx125 could make a great trail bike.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
The KDX does have a linear - easy to use powerband [but so does my KX 250]. The suspension however is ANYTHING but plush --it's atrocious. A complete revalve is absolutely necessary for both shock and front fork. High speed damping is way excessive and every rock and ledge is transmitted directly to the rider's hands . The rear kicks violently sideways with any solid encounter with a rock or ledge. [In the old days we called this Yamahop] If you go slow --really, really slow, the KDX is great as it steers quicker than the KX but anything over 2nd gear it's far more tiring to ride. I just returned from a weeks riding in Utah & took both bikes. Having ridden the same trails with both, I was much more tired after riding the KDX -especially in sand. I'll give a comparison report again after I do the Gold Valve treatment on both ends.

ava

Apr 13, 2002
THANKS ROBCOLO I WILL BE WAITING FOR YOUR REPORT. MOST OF MY RIDING IS IN THIRD AND FOURTH GEAR ON TIGHT EASTERN TRAILS ON MY KDX200. SO ARE YOU SAYING A KX250 IS EASIER TO DRIVE OVER 2ND GEAR???? BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING A KX250. THANX FOR YOUR HELP CHUCK

craig_enid

Mar 23, 2000
Riders skill and aggresiveness may determine which bike is better suited for you. I'm a C level enduro racer/ trail rider and I wouldn't trade anything for my KDX. BUT, I can see where a skilled, aggresive rider would want the 'hotter' power of a KX. Robcolo obviously DOESN'T like the KDX as much as I DO like it. (and is probably a better rider than I am...)

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
ava, If those “tight eastern trails” only require third or fourth gear, then either you are one heck of a rider or your definition of “tight” is a bit different from mine :silly: . If you like fast, wide open riding then the KX may suit you better. From your posts it sounds like you are itching for a more MX type “hit”. The KX is probably a better starting point for an A level harescrambles rider than is a KDX, but a KDX will be better for the C level rider. I doubt that a KX125 would make a good all-around woods bike unless you stuffed a KDX engine in it. The lack of low end would be a killer. As long as you stay on those third and fourth gear trails you’ll be fine. I like the KDX better, but if you’ve got the itch for an MX bike, then go for it.

robcolo, the KDX suspension problems you described are classic symptoms of the unbalanced stock suspension, with the wrong spring rate for the rider’s weight. A properly sprung KDX , with revalved suspension makes those problems go away forever and will feel like a different bike - and if it doesn't, you need to have words with your suspension tuner!

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
KX vs KDX

KX 125 probably wouldn't make a good woods bike. I have 2 KX 250s - an '88 and a '98. The reason for getting the KDX was that it has lights and a wide ratio transmission. My '88 KX has a wide ratio box but I couldn't find one for the '98. I ride mostly the Utah desert where we go from 1st gear trials type slickrock crawling to wide open 6th gear sand washes for several miles at a time. The close ratio motocross gearbox just doesn't cut it. Actually, the KDX motor hits harder than my KX !! Eric Gorr did his supercross low end magic on the '88. It's extremely strong from idle thru midrange but has no "hit" like the KDX with the rev pipe. [ and it's considerably easier to ride]. The KXs have a longer wheelbase, a larger steering head angle and more trail so are more stable at higher speed.
Brush - I'm just 125lb soakin' wet so stock spring rates are pretty close. Rear is a bit stiff but I installed a Kouba type link and that effectively decreases the spring rate. Gold Valves coming up.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…