m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i just bought a 1998 kx125. it started 1st or second kick when i bought it. i took out the carb and reeds. i cleaned out the carb very well. i also cleaned the reeds and the block with carb cleaner. now it wont start. i only got it started twice, when it started those two times it started revving really high. like the throttle is stuck open. i took the carb back out and i saw that the throttle vavle in the carb was open alot. from the bottom of that carb body to the throttle vavle how much space should there be? mines open like 3/4 of an inch. theres liknes for that throttle vlave to go down alot more. now, when i took the throttle cable assembly off of the carb could i have messed up the spring in the top of the throttle valve? would have that vavle being open so much cause it to be so hard to start. i check the plug, then i put a new one in. would cleaning the reeds with carb cleaner mess them up?

im pretty much just asking how open should the carb body be from the throttle valve. you know the slide that moves up and down when you twist the throttle. mines 3/4 of an inch. what should it be near?

Last edited:

xkevenx

Dec 4, 2007
mine is fully closed and the only thing is it wont idle. if you want to be sure then fully close it and then when it starts adjust it propper. and set your air screw about 1 turn out and adjust that too

sixtyfive

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
Make sure your throttle cable isn't bound or caught on something, shortening it, when you put carb back on. Also, make sure everything you put back on is airtight and not leaking air.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
thanks guys. yea my throttle valve is open so much. the bike started fine when i bought it and i started it once after that. ever since i took it apart its been doing this. the cable is thrash anyway. its all coming apart. thanks for the help.

flynbryan

~SPONSOR~
May 22, 2000
m4i2k2e2 said:
its all coming apart. thanks for the help.

This sounds like your problem. Get everything replaced that is damaged and then try again. You can't expect it to run right with damaged/broken equipment.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
flynbryan said:
This sounds like your problem. Get everything replaced that is damaged and then try again. You can't expect it to run right with damaged/broken equipment.

i know but, it ran fine with it when i bought it. i started it there and when i got home it ran fine. i only started it twice then i took the carb apart. im ordering a new cable, i just wanted to know how open the throttle valve is.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i didnt put them in. someone before the person i bought it from did. i posibly do need to rejet because the plug has oil on it. when i get the manual for the bike im gonna buy the plug thats suppose to be in the bike, because im not sure if he was running the proper one. but im not sure if he was mixing the gas right because he was a young kid. so ill throw my mix in clean the air filter and so on and, if it does it again, ill re jet the carb.

Top Bottom