Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
There are some problem areas i have. In a few areas where there is bump after small bump in about a 10-15 foot span,,,,where i ride, headshake begins. Most of the time i just slow down in that area and hold on tight. How do i stop this from happening? i have my rebound set 2 clicks up from softest and compression all the way soft. I weight around 140 and am 6'1''. :(

tankslapper

Aug 20, 2002
Mephisto, is your suspension stock? I would set your settings to comp:16 out, reb 12 out, sometimes going harder on comp can help with headshake it depends on the track but everybody usually sets everything to soft. Set your forks down in the clamps and set your race sag at around 100mm, this is to try and lengthen your wheelbase, sometimes it is worth fitting a couple of links in the chain to get the back wheel out as far as possible. This should make it more stable at speed but will make it more difficult to turn in tight corners. If your suspension is stock, try changing the oil and set your air gap about 100mm, use 5wt oil.

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
my suspension is not stock...i cannot tell you the name of the suspension because my dad doesnt remember what the shop put in :rolls eyes: i wish i had stock suspension though... my dads stock suspension on his kx 250 01' is better then mine i think.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Something is out of balance between you front and rear or your clickers just aren't right. KX's don't head shake when they set up right.

Mephisto

Jul 1, 2002
IM very new to the sport....could you explain what packing and when you talk about lowspeed comp are you talking about the rear suspension?

Heat

Jan 8, 2002
lowspeed comp on your forks are on the bottom of the fork legs , going counterclockwise on the adjuster is less compression damping

packing is when the forks do not extend quickly enough between bumps , with each bump your forks end up farther into their travel causing the front to ride lower with each bump which I think can cause headshake

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
An easy way to look at the situtation..

Shakes under gas or straight line with throttle.. Compression stiff, or rebound slow..

Shakes off gas or braking.. Reduction in trail caises problem.. More ompression..

BR,
Jer

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
I had a bad problem with headshake on my 99 kx250. It ended up that I had too little sag. As soon as I fixed that, the problem went away. You might want to check yours again to make sure.

Jeremy

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom