kx 250

xharley

Oct 18, 2002
Folks

Just got a brand new (01) kx 250. I have had it serviced and statrted putting some heat cycles through it. the manual says to completely remove the cylinder and piston after several such cycles and check for rough spots...and thoroughly clean the combustion chamber. man this sounds like a lot of work. Hey I jsut got this thing for a playbike toy to mess around on...no racing. Am I asking for trouble if I do not do this top-end thing? I plan on taking it easy for awhile..so I won' really thrash it around for a week or so after some easy break-in riding. any help/suggestions out there?

psg

Hucker

~SPONSOR~
Sep 15, 2000
Most manuals say to take the jug off and inspect it, but i don't think thats common place, unless your racing against RC :) Follow the proper brake-in period and you should be fine. I would check compression after the break-in to make sure everything is dandy. You should be good to go. Oh yeah, make sure to let the bike completely cool down inbetween cycle periods, I think this is a part where people get to anxious and end up not breaking in the top end properly..

Good Luck!

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
The manuf. just recommend this to cover themselves, and i know nobody that does this. Take care in breaking it in, and you should have no problems.

xharley

Oct 18, 2002
Thanks guys

My last dirt bike was an elsinore 125 over 20 years ago. I've ridden crotch rockets all my life though. My dealer told me about this still-crated 2002 kx 250 and sold it to me for 4 grand. I live next to a huge, dry sandy river bottom and couldn't resist...besides I'm worth it. I really appreciate the help and will continue asking for advice here in the future.

psg

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
xharley....just ride it.......but dont forget to do the air filter at least every other ride.....negelct of this is where most bad things happen.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…