JoshMeinke

May 19, 2009
I have an 8 yr old son that wants to race, Right now he has a PW 80 that he learned to ride on. Not much of a race bike and I think he is ready for a race bike and work a clutch. I found a 2001 KX 60 for $900 in ok shape runs good has two cracks in plastic (small cracks) He has only been on a track twice (not racing) he has been riding for a year now and rides the PW very well. I have looked at 85cc but are to tall for him and I think may have to much power.

Basically will the KX 60 be good enough for 65 class

And how much more power does and 85cc have over a 65cc

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
dont get an 85 way more power in every part then a 65, especially if he's off a pw 80.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
When my son move from a 65 to an 85 he told me that it scared him because he couldn't keep the front wheel down coming out of the corners. He had been riding the 65 for 3 years. Don't try the 85 yet. The KX 60 can run in the 65 class with a good rider, but don't expect to much at first, and plan to get a 65 in a year or two. The suspension and brakes are significantly better.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
If he rode a pw 250 it would not compare to that kx. It has probably the highest power to weight ratio of any size bike. It has a light switch power band. But, it can be bogged around safely. Everything torqued and with in spec, its pretty child friendly. 900 seems kind of high for a 9 year old bike, but honestly they have never changed, 5cc's and graphics? Try a sob story and 750, if that does not work, have your son pitch in his 50 bucks lunch money? Warm it up and look/listen/feel how much it vibrates. Any hesitation when the throttle is snapped? Take the oil fill plug out and smell it, burnt clutch has a rather unique odor, a ran over skunk smells better. Dads abuse them bikes more than the kids. An 85 is going to be bigger and have more torque. You do hopefully have all the safety gear?

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
It has probably the highest power to weight ratio of any size bike. It has a light switch power band.

I just got my 6 yr old a KX65. It scares me more than his brother's KX85/100 and my KX500. But my little guy has taken to it well. $6-700 seems to be a common price for a 60. 65s go for around $1000+ in my area. I found a sweet deal on a low hour 2006 for $900.

The 65s have better suspension and brakes. It's a more modern bike. You'll probably get an extra year out of the 65 and you can lower them easily if need be to get him started.

That all being said, a 60 is a good solid bike and lots of them are around. Keep an eye on Craigslist for a while. If you're near me, I know of one for sale pretty reasonable.

JoshMeinke

May 19, 2009
How much will a good running good shape PW 80 go for? I think it is a 2000 I cant remember. Is there any where on the bike that will tell me what year it is?

I will try to talk the guy down to 750. The bike is at a honda dealer in town and it has been there for 3 yrs they say. I know I saw it last year when I was looking for his first bike. I checked it out, at first it is boggy but once it warms up it snapps with out any hesitation seems to ride well. when I rode it the front end came up easy right at the power band. will that happen that easy with my son on it? They said they have not sold it because it is so loud that no parent wants them riding it in the yard. It was very loud. Looked like stock pipe and silencer. Maybe needs to be repacked or are they just that loud.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
JoshMeinke said:
How much will a good running good shape PW 80 go for? I think it is a 2000 I cant remember. Is there any where on the bike that will tell me what year it is?

I will try to talk the guy down to 750. The bike is at a honda dealer in town and it has been there for 3 yrs they say. I know I saw it last year when I was looking for his first bike. I checked it out, at first it is boggy but once it warms up it snapps with out any hesitation seems to ride well. when I rode it the front end came up easy right at the power band. will that happen that easy with my son on it? They said they have not sold it because it is so loud that no parent wants them riding it in the yard. It was very loud. Looked like stock pipe and silencer. Maybe needs to be repacked or are they just that loud.

Huh.. sounds like your dealer doesn't have a clue. I'd be careful with them. Probably needs the silencer repacked... But, they've had it sitting there for three years?? Wonder what else it needs before it's rideable. Maybe tires & tubes? Maybe the carb boot?

If you're dead set on it, I'd check all of that crap out very well.

JoshMeinke

May 19, 2009
I am not dead set on the 2001 kx 60 just looking for the best deal out there. I also am curious why it has been sitting there for three yrs. I will look at the stuff you mentioned still got to check the clutch also. But I found another deal 2005 kx 65 for $999 still need to go check it out though. i might go do that this afternoon.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Ask him how he would like the U.S. Government telling him he can not sell that bike because of the lead? And you will eagerly take it for 650, no questions. You can probably get more than that for that pw!

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Our PW 80 is the quietest bike we have. And that's after I hacked up the silencer. They're great bikes and they'll take lots of abuse. But they sure don't compare at all to a KX anything. That plus you started out saying he wants to race. A PW isn't a race bike, plain and simple. The more you treat one like a race bike, the shorter it's lifespan will be.

Check out that $999 KX65. If it's an ex-race bike, I'd probably look around more.

Top Bottom