lumberjack1

Dec 6, 2006
I just bought a KX 85 for my son from a "friend". My son rode the bike all weekend before we decided to buy it.

As soon as we got home the clutch cable broke???

I have ordered a service manual as none of the local shops carry them???

The Question. I was going through the bike checking everything out. I took the radiator cap off (the engine is completely cold, 40 degree's outside) and could not see any fluid. I leaned the bike to the side the radiator is on and still could not see any fluid inside the radiator. Is this normal? Could it be a major problem?

The bike ran fine a week ago. My son ran through two full tanks of gas without any apparent problems.

Thanks,
-Larry

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
lumberjack1 said:
I just bought a KX 85 for my son from a "friend". My son rode the bike all weekend before we decided to buy it.

As soon as we got home the clutch cable broke???

I have ordered a service manual as none of the local shops carry them???

The Question. I was going through the bike checking everything out. I took the radiator cap off (the engine is completely cold, 40 degree's outside) and could not see any fluid. I leaned the bike to the side the radiator is on and still could not see any fluid inside the radiator. Is this normal? Could it be a major problem?

The bike ran fine a week ago. My son ran through two full tanks of gas without any apparent problems.

Thanks,
-Larry

I'd look at getting something in there... Use coolant designed for aluminum engines. You should be able to get 50/50 premix at the autoparts store. It shouldn't take a whole lot though.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
You should be changing the oil anyways so when it is out is it milky in appearance? If it is then that is where your coolant went- not good. If the oil comes out just plain black/dirty then at least the coolant is not getting sucked in there. Fill up the coolant and keep a close eye on it- it should be coverring the top of the core at least

jason33

Oct 21, 2006
it might have a blown head gasket, go a head and do a top end job---(deglaze the cylinder/"hone" it ,and re ring it)
i think with all the alluminum car motors built now days most antifreeze is compatable w/o problems

lumberjack1

Dec 6, 2006
I got some time to go through the bike, sort of taking stuff off (plastics) and cleaning in those hard to get places. The radiator was dented on this bike but not leaking in anyway. The guy I bought it from bought a new radiator to have on hand to replace when needed. I decided to go ahead and put the new radiator on and keep the old one for a spare. When I went to unscrew the bolts for the hose clamps at the inlet and outlet to the radiator, the screws were less than finger tight. I could unscrew them with my fingers. I think this could be part of the problem. Before I drained the coolant system I added distilled water and it took 130 cc's to fill-r-up. The book says it holds 470 cc's. I can see where 130 cc's could leak out with no hose clamps holding the hoses on.

The oil is a grey color. The water pump oil seal could be leaking. I plan ride the bike this weekend and watch the fluid level in the radiator. Then change the oil when I get home to see what it looks like.

I plan to change the parts in the water pump either way so that I know it is new.

The previous owner, great mechanic and racer, did a top end job to freshen up the bike before I bought it so I know the top end is good. Lets put it this way, may son was slinging some roost my way allllllll dayyyyyy longgggg and it was his first day ever on a 2 stroke!

Thanks for everyone input and I will keep you posted.

-Larry

Top Bottom