redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
Im going to be racing an hour long harescramble this weekend.The course is about 6 miles long and we are allowed to make stops at certain checkpoints. Do you guys think I would last the whole race on one tank of gas (stock gas tank, 1.5 gallon capacity)?? or would I have to stop about halfway to top it off?? thanks in advance.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
When my sister was running a KX100 in AMA D-7 harescrambles (2-2.5 hours long) she had to make a pit stop half way through the race. I'd say anything over an hour is pushing it. Of course your fuel range can vary greatly depending on conditions, bike set up and riding style. You just might be able to make it without stoping, but it would be close. Do you do any practice riding at all? If so you should be able to get a good idea of your fuel useage from that. If you decide to go without a pit stop consider carrying a small amount of fuel with you in a tool pouch or something. Though not exactly kosher, I used to carry a gatoraid bottle of pre-mixed fuel with me in harescrambles, just incase I didn't make it to my pit.

good luck and let us know how it goes:)

redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
I was thinkin that it was gonna be close. I will probably have it opened up more 70% of the time so it will probably be close. I do practice ride but Im not wide open more that 50% of the time. Im trying to avoid pit stops as much as possible becuase i've seen frantic race dads spillin gas all over their sons crotches tryin to fill their tank quickly :ohmy:

kdxtaz

~SPONSOR~
Mar 29, 2002
If it's only an hour long, you should make it easy. My kid raced one in a 1 1/2 hour H.S. about 2 years ago (1st in his class, 2nd overall :aj: ) & didn't run out of fuel.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Yes, just be careful, I've filled a KX100 with fuel only to have it run bone dry in 40 minutes at a MX track practice before. All depends on the conditions. Same bike has gone over an hour without fuel in a rocky harescramble race as well.

I've always filled my own fuel (3 hour harescramble races on a stock KX250 require a pit as well) and never had a problem. The race is long enough that stopping quickly doesn't seem to seriously affect my placement. If you do pit and have a "pit crew" consider having them just hand you the gas can and fill your bike yourself. Plan your pit after the half way point and just get a splash, no need to totally fill it up for a 1 hour race.

good luck

redrider100

Aug 17, 2003
I just got back from the race and I pulled a 4th in the 85C class :) pretty good for my first race in 2 years. and i lasted the whole race on one tank too. thanks everyone for your input.

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
That's awsome, congrats:) How much fuel was left at the end of it all?

BTW I finally got my wife's KX100 set up really well and took it to a practice hs course. She loved it and I actually turned quicker laps on it than my CR250 (really tight course). The suspension is actually sprung and set up for my weight and works awsome, the motor pulls hard and clean, the handling is crisp. Absolutly great bike:)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom