KXF Compression Questions

Racerdude

May 24, 2000
I just purchased a 2004 KXF250. the bike appears to be in pretty good shape, especially for the price i got it for, but of course i want to check all of the parts before i put in any serious riding time on it. Some time this week i am going to get around to doing a compression check on it, and wanted to know what is a good reading to get since i dont want to disable all of the automatic decompression stuff on it to run the test. i know a fresh crf450r will read about 60psi on a kick through with all the automatic decompression stuff on the bike. i was wondering what reading a fresh kxf250 would get. thanks a ton!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You'll see readings anywhere from 55psi to 95psi. With the decompressor working a compression guage won't tell you anything that is very useful.

A leakdown test is a bit more helpful but has inherent flaws as well. If the engine is still on the original piston then it's time for a top end (and probably valves & valve springs) and maybe a crank.

Last edited:

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
per the kawi manual, within 5 kicks you should have 100-115lb on a compression test at WOT

Rotorranch

Feb 10, 2007
OK...inquiring minds want to know...which is it?

We can't get my son's Kawazuki kick started, but it will bump start.

Rotor

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…