help with new project 94 kx 125

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
Just picked up a 94 kx 125 in ok shape. Supposedly .....the top and bottom ends were "redone" and carb was "gone through" so really I have no frekin idea what's been done to it. What I do know is that it cranks right up on first kick, has good compression , fmf exhaust, a bouncy ass rear suspension, a carburetor that pours gas , no right side panel (exposing the airbox/filter) and when you first take off up to about 1/4 throttle is SUPER SLUGGISH , but it gets better lol. Anyway.....lay it on me !!!! Where would you start ? What do you think ? What's the best way to tell if the top and bottom ends are really "fresh" ? I only gae $500 worth of car stereo equipment for it so I wasn't expecting much other than it running. Thank guys, can't wait to read whatcha got for me......

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
sort out the fuel leaking and get a side panel so the normal amount of air is available to the air filter and you will probably get rid of the sluggish first 1/4. Remove the stator/left side engine cover an see if the crank has up/down or in out movement, ideal is less then the thickness of one sheet of paper and no oil residue leaking from the crank seal. remove expansion chamber and look up exhaust port you will be able to see machining around the piston if it is still good. You will now have an idea of motor condition . Drain the gearbox oil into a clean container and inspect any sediment transperent oil with no residue is good down to metalic black paint is very bad, grey oil usually not bad just overdue a change.

cowasucky

Feb 23, 2009
EXACTLY what I was looking for !!!! Thanks pesky....now I got something to do this weekend . Oh by the way, I bought some boyesen pro series reeds today. I shouldn't have to rejet from the reeds correct ? Although Im sure I'll have to make some adjustments anyway to get the bike where it needs to be.....after I have a better idea of the overall condition of the motor ofcourse.

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
As you say only minor changes needle clip air screw will most likely do it. Remember deap sand and 125s mean wholesale richer jetting to survive. Happy riding

Top Bottom