Land Between the Lakes

madwrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 31, 2002
Pro, I'm afraid I don't have an answer--just another question. I, too was wondering about LBL. Did you find out anything? I looked at it on some mapping software, and it doesn't look like it could be a very large riding area. I haven't talked to anyone who's actually ridden there.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by pro2k
Is it worth an 8-hour trip to to ride here?

Depends on what riding you have where you live and what your looking for.
sometimes a road trip is fun just for something different. Its a 8 hour trip for me and im going back for the second time. It is a huge area, mostly heavy woods. there is a 4-5 mile main loop around the place. about 10 to 20 feet wide with 2 way traffic, so you cant go full blast, but you can move at a good clip on many parts. There are bikes, quads, cars, jeeps, dunebuggies. everyone kind of co-exists. in the middle of this big loop is miles and miles of trails thru the woods, or blaze your own trail. hills of all dificulties to test even the good riders. There are deep mud holes you can watch the jeeps and quads go thru and or get stuck and pull each other out. not a mx track at all, dont go there to race. theres plenty of room to go fast, you just have to watch for traffic. check the other thread on LBL for more info. or meet us there on 4-18,19,and 20

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
LBL is approximately 2500 acres but there are around 100 miles of trails packed into that area. That is taken from the web site:

In my guesstimation I would say that about 40-50% of it is fairly rocky. There is some hard pack sandy, gravel type stuff (the main outer loop), some nice black dirt (mostly in the valleys and bottoms) and lots of hills. You can go up & down, up & down , up & down all day if you want. Lots of medium sized hills (no giant ones) but plenty tough enough with rocks, roots and/or loose soil.

I would drive 8 hours to ride there at least once just to check it out. Its only about 4 hours for me but I've been there 3 times (i think) in the last year.

One note about the quads, buggies etc. - you can (for the most part) get away from the areas that those folks spend most of their time and not have to worry too much about them.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'm driving down from central Iowa. Never been there. I'm pretty sure it will be worth the drive, since the biggest area we have here is 300 acres.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Even though I only have a hair over 30 minutes of driving to get to TB, I think it is worth 8 hours.  I drove 7 hours for one day of riding at Chadwick and I like TB much better.  The website's estimate of 100 miles of trails is old.  There is closer to 125-150 miles of trails.  I've been riding there for years and still find (or make  ;) ) new trails.  Come join us on April 18-20.  It's going to be a great ride!

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
Cal, i'm about 45-60 mins from turkey bay. I live in stewart county, close to dover. Once I get my bike, you want to go riding some???

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by jabroni1m
Cal, i'm about 45-60 mins from turkey bay. I live in stewart county, close to dover. Once I get my bike, you want to go riding some???

You bet!

jabroni1m

Mar 14, 2003
I'm still waiting on a paycheck so I can become a lifetime member here and get more than 2 posts a day. Will be soon. Yea, it will be nice to have someone who knows their crap that only lives probably an hour away if I ever need to come over and have u show me how to do something.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by jabroni1m
it will be nice to have someone who knows their crap that only lives probably an hour away if I ever need to come over and have u show me how to do something.

I never claim to know anything but crap! ;)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…