?large coils on rotor? for lights or ignition?

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
When using a southern engineered flywheel holder I nicked the wire on one of the large coils behind the flywheel but don't know the purpose of the coil. I hope its not for the ignition since the nick is half way through the wire.
?

MX175

~SPONSOR~
Aug 20, 2002
I haven't looked at my '88, but on my '85 there are two horizontal coils and I am almost positive that the lower coil is for ignition and the upper one is for the lights.

If the flywheel is off, don't hesitate to take off the backing plate with the coils on it. There is a timing mark and as long as you put that back right, you'll be OK. With the coils off, you can see what color wire is attached to which coil and then look at the wires under the tank (or in a manual) for what color is lighting and which is ignition. I'd give the coil a try anyway. You say the wire is nicked half way through, but I say you still have half the wire there. Good luck.

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
The sparky coil is usually potted or at least wrapped with fiberglass or some epoxy stuff...the coil for lights is larger wire and just transformer type (coated) wire.

But certainly, the best way to know is follow the wires or verify the colors.

Southern engineered, 'eh? Considering some of the other 'southern engineered' things you've brought up jag, that's kind of scarey!

;)

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
Yeah, down here we give new meaning to the term southern engineered! I came from Texas where plenty of jury rigging went on, but here it's pretty much essential.
The nicked coil is large shellaced wire. Probably for the high amperage low voltage lighting system. The lights are working OK so I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Speaking of southern engineered, I just had my cylinder sleeved. The shop starts with a non-ported sleeve, so I told him I wanted to experiment with having all the top edge of the exhaust port 1/2mm lower to see if I can get better mid range power out of it. Heck, if I don't like it he can just grind off the lip to bring it back to normal. But I really like it and I think the adjusted powerband will help me out on the small supercross type of track I race on. Next I may have him shave off some of the outside of the flywheel to get better throttle response. I think the SR ones are heavier. Any idea on how deep is OK to take off?

acutemp

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 4, 1999
Jag,
I'm not sure about the SR model's but on the standard models you should be able to shave off a couple of ounces without any trouble. The most I've heard of someone taking off weight on a KDX was 4 ounces.--Dan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…