plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
Just read this on Motocross.com. Sounds like a set up for the US not sending a team!

AMA Pro Racing continues to explore Motocross of Nations effort
AMA Press 8/9/2004
AMA Pro Racing announced today that it continues to explore whether or not it will send a team to the 2004 Motocross of Nations (MXoN). AMA Pro Racing Supercross/Motocross Series Manager Steve Whitelock said the team-selection process took an unexpected turn last week which necessitated a review of the situation.

“We’ve been considering the possibility of sending a team for weeks now,” said Whitelock. “We’ve had conversations with all the top riders, team managers and manufacturers. We had reached a point where we had a team in place, and in fact were preparing the announcement, then suddenly the team we had assembled dissolved.”

The Motocross of Nations is comprised of three-man teams from around the world. Generally, current top-ranked riders are invited to race on behalf of their countries. Some top Americans who were considered to be logical picks to represent the United States said they wouldn’t participate in the event. This year’s MXoN is scheduled to be held in Lierop, Netherlands on Oct. 1-3.

“Even though some riders had declined, we had commitments in place and had organized a strong team. Unfortunately the landscape changed and we are back to square one,” said Whitelock.

Whitelock acknowledged the riders who have come forward volunteering to race at the MXoN. “A few riders have publicly stated their willingness to ride and we think that’s admirable,” stated Whitelock.

“Unfortunately, the situation is not that simple. Along with the willingness of the riders, we must have a strong commitment from the manufacturers who sponsor them to prep and maintain equipment. That part of the equation is also in question right now. And, it’s not even about being guaranteed a win, it’s about ensuring the American team has, at the very least, a reasonable chance of success. Considering where the situation lies right now, that ‘reasonable chance’ is in doubt. We must have assurance that each rider will have access to the best possible equipment. To go up against the world’s top riders on anything less is not an option.”

Whitelock also recognized the fans who have contacted AMA Pro Racing urging that a team be organized. “We have received plenty of e-mails and letters from passionate fans who want to see an American team under any circumstances,” continued Whitelock.

“We empathize with that passion but it’s our responsibility to make the decision that’s in the best interest of our riders. Bowing to public pressure and throwing together an under-supported team is not in the best interests of anyone, particularly the sport of motocross in the United States.”

Whitelock stated that the situation could go either way at this point. “Frankly speaking, we need to acknowledge the possibility that we won’t be going in 2004,” said Whitelock.

“However, we’re going to continue working on it until all reasonable possibilities have been exhausted. If we can create a scenario that makes sense we’ll go. Otherwise, we’ll turn our attention to 2005.”

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Hell, let's just play it up the American way. Just go, say, once every 5 years or so, but only when we have a good team. Only when we know we can whip everyone's ass, and long after Pichon and Everts are retired or dead.

This is pissing me off. Although I have no bad feelings toward RC, Bubba or whoever else doesn't want to go, the AMA ought to have the nalls to really find some guys that want to go and do this thing. I can think of a handfull of guys that would go if asked...namely, MC, TP, Henry, Dowd, LaRocco...etc.

And oh yeah. David Vuillemin's address is Corona, CA. I think Reed lives around there, too. Tortelli? He's a Kali boy, too. Surely we can find someone. :p

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Cobra said somewhere he wont go since its right in the middle of SX testing. With Pichon, a back to form Tortelli and Cobra, the French could have had a dream team- they still have some depth.

Reed has said he is going i think, but i wouldnt be surprized if he declines again in the light that his major competition for his SX title will all be busy getting ready for the new season while he is at the MXDN.

as far as i am concerned, i think its another nail in the coffin of the MXDN- the SX is bigger than MX in the US, and there are too many riders from the world that will be concentrating on the AMA SX.

did anyone see that MC is setting up an invitational SX in october?

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
bclapham said:
Reed has said he is going i think, but i wouldnt be surprized if he declines again in the light that his major competition for his SX title will all be busy getting ready for the new season while he is at the MXDN.

Read last night that Yamaha has forbidden Reed from going. They feel the race offers them no real marketing advantage and don't want to lose prep time for SX.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Might as well call it a day really:( good job the brits never had the idea of not sending at team for fear we would loose-we would have stopped attending in 1970:)

Ando400

May 2, 2002
Heaven forbid that anyone would send a team that didn't have at least a reasonable chance of success. In fact why don't we make it even easier ... all interested countries send their proposed teams in, then a committee can decide which are the only really competitive ones (say 4 or 5). These selected teams can then ride off for the trophy, meaning each team has a 60% chance of making the podium and the worst case is that you finish 5th. Also those less competitive teams can save themselves the time and money by not entering a competition they couldn't win anyway.

Sounds good to me.

2smoke

Sep 21, 2001
You see teams from Estonia and Latvia with no chance of success and on a shoe string budget. But they still go.....just to be there. Australia hasn't managed to send its top team for a while...and we've never ever finished better than 4th overall ever (as yes you Kiwi sheep farmers I know you've done better)......but Im always glad that we go.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
It's very disappointing to me that the MXdN has lost its luster. Especially now that the format has been restored to the most exciting arrangement - 3 riders per country, 3 classes of bikes, 3 motos (2 per rider).

If the world's best riders can't be bothered to race, I would love to see a true underdog team get a medal.

Representing your country while racing a dirt bike - what could be better than that? It really pisses me off that the top riders, the factory teams and the AMA consider the MXdN as an annoyance.

FWIW, RC has been on Team USA 6 times (though we only raced 4 of those) so he should get a little credit for doing his part. I certainly hope he will be back in '05.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
As touched on, all the blame for not going shouldn't necessarily go to the riders, there are factory decisions involved in many cases.

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
If the U.S. could send a team in previous years, why can't they now? Has the time frame between the MX and SX seasons shortened?

Is there any date in the year that would be more suitable for all those involved, not just those racing in the U.S.?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Grinch - During most of the 1990's our MX season had just as many nationals (12) as now, and the SX season had only one or two fewer racers (it now has 16; there were 15 in 1995).

The big recent change is the US Open of SX in Las Vegas, held in October (close to MXdN time). It is an event that is not part of the SX series, but its a big deal and pays $100,000 to the winner. It has become the event when alot of teams debut their new bikes and riders for next year. So once the outdoor nationals end, the riders are focused on getting their new SX bikes dialed in for the US Open.

IMO, the US Open is basically a glorifed Arenacross with a huge purse. It's a shame that it has supplanted the MXdN on the priority list for the riders and the factory teams.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
You can put a man on the moon, but not send a few to europe to do a race?I dont buy into this factory thing, i think the riders are worried the fans will be angry so they hide behind the factory.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I heard the AMA decided to send the Alessi boys (since you only need the top two scores), then Tony Alessi said the boys would win anyway, beating all that Eurotrash, so the FIM went ahead and gave Team Alessi the MXdN trophy and decided not to run it at all.

Or so I heard . . . ;)

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
XRpredator said:
I heard the AMA decided to send the Alessi boys (since you only need the top two scores), then Tony Alessi said the boys would win anyway, beating all that Eurotrash, so the FIM went ahead and gave Team Alessi the MXdN trophy and decided not to run it at all.

Or so I heard . . . ;)

Theres a shot over the bow!

TheGrinch

Nov 26, 2000
Thanks Dirt Bike Dave for the clarification. I agree it is a shame that the US Open rates higher on the priority list for the riders and the factory teams than the MXdN.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Chili said:
Read last night that Yamaha has forbidden Reed from going. They feel the race offers them no real marketing advantage and don't want to lose prep time for SX.

Maybe Yamaha is playing team USA tactics.... :p

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
XRpredator said:

Or so I heard . . . ;)

I'm not sayin' nothin!

Top Bottom