Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Prior to Memorial Day I had raced every weekend at least 2 classes and often 2 times a weekend. I was actually beginning to feel like a competent rider and a decent finishing contender. Memorial Day hi-lighted my riding skills by earning an upper class finish on Saturday and completing a 1-hour "Iron Man" moto on Monday. After that I don't know what happened, seemed like the time for riding was getting further in between and the classes I entered had dropped back to one. Then there was this one race on July 13th, see my sig line.
When I did race I still managed to do okay but I could tell I hadn't been riding as much. I managed to lead the class in a couple of races even though I did get passed right before the checkers to take a 2nd, the thrill of 1st time leading for an entire race was unforgettable.

Then the rains came then left. Dirt Week came and I was really starting to feel out of shape, in fact I felt slower by the end of Dirt Week than the beginning. After Dirt Week came the rains again. 5 or so weeks had passed and I finally got the chance to race again. It was time to move up to novice, it has been about a year. I entered the +25 A class at the local track for the Texas State Vet Championship because there were only a few riders in the class and they needed riders, it really didn't make a hill of beans which class I entered. I found myself in 2nd place the whole race except that 1st place was WAY AHEAD OF ME. I was so tired and out of shape that I ended up letting 1st place lap me so I wouldn't have to do another lap. I walked away with a 2nd place anyway. ;)

I had 1 week to whip myself into shape for the Lake Whitney Season Finale and no way to get there. I entered the beginner class for the last time and out of 9 riders finished 6th, I was so tired. Hell bent on getting back into the swing of things I committed to ride whenever I could at any inconvience. The Vet race I just finished made my shoulders and upper back muscles sore but the legs were solid as rock. The Whitney race didn't affect my upper body but my legs felt like limp noodles. The plan now is to drive two hours each way during the week to do the nearest night track for practice. Last night I went to Cross Creek. The track was practically vacant when I got there at 8pm. I geared up and hit the mini supercross style night track and found I really suck. Since there were just a few people there I got the chance to work on sections of the track and practice doing the things that need the most work. I practiced a triple that had a 300' run, 4th gear jump. I then practiced the same jump stating 50' from the jump and hitting in 2nd. The amazing part is that I can actually clear it better in the short run than hauling butt and coasting over. Next was the right handed 90 into the face of a step-up, never quite got that down but I was landing on top. After that I moved to the ruts and practiced my Billy Who moves, I'm getting better at that. It really does help to not look at the ruts at all just before you hit it. Next on my agenda was the whoops, these are referred to by some as the whoops from hell. There were a couple of guys there earlier that could hammer through just like they do on TV but I was having a lot of trouble. I just couldn't stay on the gas hard enough to keep the wheels on top. After about 20 attempts I was starting to improve but it was getting late. I took a couple of hot laps and felt a lot better than when I 1st got there. I loaded up and started the 2-hour drive home. Now the strange part is my legs are fine after riding this track, my forearms are killing me along with my back muscles, neck and gut. My ribs are tender and my shoulders are slightly sore but the legs are okay. What a difference the track makes.

Ps; I started working on endurance training today. I ran up 10 flights of stairs and back down. The way up about killed me. I was out of breath by the 4th floor but slowed my pace and kept going. The trip down was nothing. I wonder what will hurt tomorrow? Till next week :aj:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like you have a plan Jeff.  Keep it up and you will be fine.  The soreness is a sign of aging:scream:.  Get used to it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom