Leaking Fork seals -- New Bushings??

YZ250

Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

I was wondering if someone could confirm what I am about to say. I have a 99 YZ250, I started having problems with my forks seals leaking. It seems to be getting worse. I replaced the seals over the winter and within about 3 hours of riding they started leaking again.

In the manual it says to change the Dust covers, seals, and a couple of bushings. I've never replaced the bushings. I was just wondering if this could be the source of my problem. If so could someone please explain? Thanks.

WhiPit

Mar 16, 2000
Yeah, it's possible.

As your bushings wear they allow for more "flex" between the inner and outer tubes. Therefore, your seal can actually be lifted off the chrome tube that it's trying to seal and therefore, leak.

Also, be sure your seal back up washers are flat and not beveled.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
a problem could be a nick in the lower fork tube. when the fork tubes slide up and down, the nick(s) can tear the seals. feel up and down the lower fork tubes with your fingers, if a nick is the problem, you will feel it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…