Alex04

Apr 10, 2002
I have a 1989 yz250 and fork oil leaks out of the bottom by the clickers i know its not the seals i just replaced them and no oil comes out there i tightened up the valves at the bottom and they still leak. whats wrong?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
On the base valve there is a large o ring that seals the base valve against the fork body-maybe yours is corroded/worn/nicked.

Layton

~SPONSOR~
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by Jeremy Wilkey
[B I'm thinking the evil loctite was used in excess..
[/B]

:confused: Jer, what do you mean by the above statement? How would too much loctite affect the part?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Layton the crumbly jagged crud on disasembly is hard on every thing and scars o-rings.. Let it be said that I hate loctite in the wrong dose and the wrong parts..

I use it only sparigly on life and death parts, with little "torque interferance"

Paul Thede may have actualy spoken the most truth when he published a article in DR saying that grease was a marvouls replacement for the blue crud, or GOD forbid the red death....

:eek:

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
Jeremy, excellent point. The loctite does wear the hell out of any threaded piece. I believe the fine print on the red says it should only be used on new fasteners.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Interesting info, i use Loctite 222 which is red but its not the strong stuff.It seems very gentle on threads and o rings etc-is there a good reason not to use 222?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom