crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
A local shop said if I bring them my forks the will install new seals for $120 parts and labor and mat'l incl...

Is this a good deal?
or should I get the tools and learn/do this myself?

Opinions please...

Crazy

yzrulz

Dec 3, 2003
Depending on how bad your seals are leaking there is something you might want to try before you actually tear your forks down and replace the seals and that is to swipe the inside of the seals clean. I have tried this at least of half dozen times (3 different bikes) in the past 3 years or so whenever my seals start seeping and it has stopped my leaky seals every time. I'm sure there will come a time when this won't work but it has saved me alot of time and money on leaky seals. I believe Parts Unlimited sells a special tool ($5 or so)which is nothing more than a thin piece of plastic about an inch wide and 5 inches long or so. I made my own out of a used plastic milkjug. Hope this helps.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
YZRULZ,
can you e-mail me a photo of this thing? i'm gonna try it...
thanx

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
cut out a thin piece of plastic (2 liter bottle, film negative, etc.)to look like this picture , then pull the dust wipers down off the fork tubes and slip the plastic piece up under the actual seals and try to hook any debris and pull it out, clean up the massive gunk that you can see and dab a little grease on top of the dust wiper and close them up, watch for the leak to return

ps as you can see im not an artist but you get the idea

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Right on,thanks.....i'm going right now.......

Thanks,
L & O :)

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
well????

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I didnt get to ride but b-4 I could just set on it and pump the forks and get fluid....now ....no more fluid. We will see after a ride,I'll post back.

I'm currently looking in the manual on fork servicing.
it only lists an oil height with the springs installed... :|
I need to figure a way around this... :think:
I belive I will measure the one side and add fluid to match it with the other.

Great tip Yall.

Crazy

big bob

Nov 13, 2005
Forks are hard to work on. You need experience to work on them. The first time i tried to do it myself, i had to go to the dealer so they could do it for me. For 120 $ thats a good deal.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
RE: post # 7....i meant with the springs removed.......... :bang:

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
UPDATE.....
I rode for a little over an hour today :ride: and ......No Leak :aj:

Thanks for all the tips!

Now time to top off the fluid..(with the correct amount of course)

Crazy

nickt916

Oct 22, 2005
my forks started leaking today, i have a yz250f, they were just fine till i started tightening the bike down in the back of the truck without the spacer between the tire and the fender, wich put to much pressure on the forks and now causes them to leak... so i was wondering if cleaning them will actually work, or might?

im thinking since they started leaking then dirt got in between the seals easier and now leaks until they are cleaned and the dust seals are cleaned...

let me know, i never messed with the seals before, but ill try tomorrow after noon to clean them and see how it works out.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
make that little tool and give it a shot,the price is right....

Crazy

reddragon737

Nov 26, 2005
i have the same problem on my 2000 125sx, im going to try to clean out the forks before i replaxe the fork seals... since they have been leaking, should i top up yhe oil?? and how do i knoe how much oil to put into it?

bordrshane

Dec 13, 2005
Leak

They dont leak anymore because there is no more oil to leak. Just replace them. You can do it. Its not hard. Maybe an hour and a half. Easier than a 2 stroke top end. Proper oil level is necessary for a positive ride.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom