zilla

Nov 4, 2001
I ride a 98 380 EXC, and it has been bulletproof, except for the gas cap which leaks slightly.. I have replaced the gasket, and the cap, but it still drools when full.. Anybody else have this problem? And a cure?

JoeCharge

Mar 13, 2000
I had this problem when I originally bought my '99 300E new from the dealer. In my case it turned out to be the way that the rubber gasket at the top of the cap sealed around the edge. There was an area on mine where the rubber gasket was wedged behind the plastic ledge at the top of the cap. When I pulled it out and made sure the rubber gasket made a nice even seal all around the entire top of the cap the problem was solved.
Like you I had posted my problem online and received that suggestion from a fellow KTM owner. Apparently this is not all that uncommon.

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
Thanx

I looked at the cap and could see no visible problem, then removed the gasket and re-installed it carefully, being careful to seat the gasket evenly.. We'll see if this fixes the prblem next ride.. Thanx again

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Zilla - my Acerbis caps on the Katoom and Montesa seem to act up when it gets cool. The inner rubber part tends to bond to the top of the tank and bind when you put the cap back on.

Just flip the cap over before you put it back on and make sure the rubber insert is seated correctly all the way around before you put it back on.

If this does not fix the problem, take the inner part out and inspect it for tears. Replace if necessary.

While inspecting the whole setup, you might as well take a look at the top of the filler neck and make sure it is flat and uniform and does not have any protruding mould marks or abrasions effecting the seal.

Mine will leak every time when I encounter resistance putting the cap back on. The resistance is from a portion of the inner seal being out of place inside the cap.

Hope this helps,

KTM Aviator

May 3, 2001
Make sure your rubber gasket on the inside of the cap is ALL the way in. Take a small screw driver and run it around the edge to make sure it is fully
secure

Montana300

May 4, 2000
My cap gasket got all discombobulated during a fuel stop during a desert race a couple years ago, so there I am in the pits losing time trying to stuff the stubborn gasket back in with my gloved hands. I got it in there [mostly], tightened it down with undue force and road the last loop. I learned to check the gasket before a race so that this wouldn't happen again :D

Top Bottom