Leaky pipe

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
Recently noticed when I washed my bike that my pipe leaks from where it hooks up to the engine. It doesn't even look like it is going in straigt. It dribbles out oily stuff. Looks like the only way to fix this is to buy a new pipe, or put my stock one back on :(. Is it fine is I keep out of water and stuff?

yam 3

May 19, 2000
Pull it off and try using high temp rtv gasket sealer on the inside of the flange to help seal it.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
May want too replace the "o" rings and springs.. Plus the copper gasket that the pipe sits against inside the cylinder..
Rick

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
I'm think it is a problem with the way it is seated. I'm gonna pull it off, bend it then put it back on. Thanks for the help though!

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Originally posted by rickyd
May want too replace the "o" rings and springs.. Plus the copper gasket that the pipe sits against inside the cylinder..

Good advice there the only thing I would add is once you've done all that learn to jet the bike so it isn't spooging (black oily stuff is called spooge).  Do a search on jetting or spooge and you'll have enough reading to keep you busy for days.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
ANother thing to check, is how you install the pipe.. I was always told too start at the front of the bike and work my way back too the silencer.. Hook up the springs first, then the mounting bolts, that way it seats angainst the cylinder..
Hope this helps..
Rick

kx_guy86

Feb 6, 2003
quicky ?. Guy at the dealer didn't know if you are supposed to use the copper gasket with an FMF pipe. Are you?

xERICx

Jan 31, 2003
yes, you will need the copper gasket.
my bike (with an FMF REV pipe) was missthe copper gasket. as soon as i put it on, the spooge went away. but like they said, make sure the jetting is correct. then you will be good to go.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…