Left side radiator pressure plug

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I pulled into the gas stop at the Foggy Mountain Breakdown Enduro (gotta love that name) on Sunday and my buddy who I hadn't seen since the first section was standing there with a beer in his hand and a frown on his face. These would normally be mutually exclusive circumstances, but he said his radiator had "blown up" at the top of a rocky uphill. It seems the radiator pressure plug (black plastic plug that reads 30 kg-cm) on the left side of his 2002 KDX200 had done it's duty and expelled itself and some of the contents of the rad.

Has this ever happened to anyone and do I have to worry about it with my 03?

TIA,
Brent

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Makes me think that the thermostat is defective or clogged. Was the overfill tank full?

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
I'm still waiting to hear what the cause was. I was thinking a bad rad cap or something plugged.

I doubt if there was anything in the overflow, since I know mine goes empty pretty quick in the rocks, or on the rocks.

I'll let you know.

b out

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
Ive had that happen to my 03 KDX 2 races in a row (GNCC's) I talked to the Kaw rep after the race and he said it was due to the amount of mud packed into the radiators and the slow speeds at this race. He told me to start running a 1.6 rad cap, the stocker is a 1.1..........I havent had this problem since

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Stupid me, there isn't a thermostat! What was I thinking. But a defective cap would cause that problem.

kx_693

Jul 2, 2002
your local Kaw shop should be able to get one for you, there about a $20 part, but i run them on both of my bike the KDX and my KX 250, and all of the pro's at the GNCC's run them also.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Happen last year, on jr's bike @ the jack pine enduro. "Aaron was riding the pine cone" His rear brake locked up and he was forcing the bike out to the road. then it blew.

Top Bottom