JOE13

Nov 15, 1999
I put a 3in body lift on my truck and put some 33 x 12.5 Interco Thornbirds on it. I'm thinking about a suspernsion lift now. My friend's uncle has a rear 2.5 traction lift for the rear and I was wondering if I would be able to crank the torsion bars up 2.5 inches? What all would I need to do to straighten the camber? If 2.5 in is imposible, then how much would I be able to do it. I was thinking of maybe getting the Rancho 1.5 inch torsion lift and cranken em up an inch to get it 2.5 in the front. Any ideas? Thanks.

(Lifts are addictive!:eek: )

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Joe,
Do some searching on the 2.5" kit and you may find people find it uncomfortable, marginally performing then re-do it with the 4" kit.

I don't think you could get 2.5"out of the front tortion bars, and if you could, it would ride like a brick, it simple doesn't leave enough downward travel, ruins steering geometry and you may go though ball joints quickly.

Personally, I did the big truck thang once, but now have a CUCV project to play with. (all solid axle) My solution to my weed-snagging, level sitting '96 1500 was to turn up the tortion bars modestly, to get back stock ride height plus 1/2-3/4", Then put in a long-leaf add-a-leaf in the rear (got it level and that resolved the wallowy-boat feeling) then to give it a little rake, stock 1.5" blocks from a 2000 1500 (18$ ea at GM). With new U-bolts from NAPA cost me a hair over 100$. Cast lower control arms (from a 2500) can handle a little more extention then the stamped/welded 1500's if you quest more.

So if you already run 33's with the BL, this may give you the extra you desire.

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Torsions will only give you 1.5"

You will have to buy a lift for more

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
Don't tighten the torsion bars, it will not flex with them to tight.

Do it right the first time, get a real 4" suspension lift kit. or do a SAS (straight axle swap) and put some fordies on it so you can "hng with the big dogs" :)

p.s How do you like those Thornbirds???

JOE13

Nov 15, 1999
They're great. They're surprisingly quiet on the highway and handles the mud nicely. They look great too because of the aggressive side lugs. They definately look a lot better in person.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom