lighting coil questions...

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
background..

I have a 1994 kdx that I am making street legal...

so far I have added a hi/lo headlight from UFO. I have ordered the baja designs LED under the fender tail light.

When I was riding the bike at night with just the UFO headlight and stock tail light the headlight was yellow and dim.

I know that I can upgrade the lighting coil to a 75watt one.

With this new lighting coil putting out the 75watts I figure that I will need to install a voltage regulator to keep from blowing the lights.

so the questions are......

will I need to buy a voltage regulator?

has anyone done this to any year enduro?

Thanks
Jim

m0rie

Nov 18, 2002
The stock regulator on the bike should handle the increased output from the 75w lighting coil just fine. You'll also pick up a bit more low end and some stall resistance.

rxraptor02

Aug 7, 2004
ok, here is a different question to go along with that....(sorry so long)

I bought a switch that has the kill and hi/lo button....

when I took off the stock light and light switch I traced the switch to the power source..... (yellow wire)

I then pluged the power (yellow wire) into the new switch.

I figured if the old switch hooked there that the new one should as well.....<--or is there a different wire I should of hooked it to??

right now the hi/lo switch works and so does the light....

but here is the thing.....

this new headlight that I hi/lo has a small bulb built in the housing as well. this small bulb just has two wires comming out of it. I wasn't sure how I should hook it in.

What I did was....(and did't work)

I spliced off of the power wire for the switch and hooked it in...

when I started the bike and flpped the lights on it blew the bulb. (not a big deal I really don't need that extra light)

I got to thinking and then hooked the stock light back into the lead that I made for that light and it blew the bulb in that as well.

after that I traced the wire to see where it went...

it looks like it goes directly to the stator/lighting coil.

Since it looks like it goes directly to the lighting coil, it seems that I would need a regulator so the volts don't spike up high and blow the new lights....

Unless I should of hooked the new switch into a different power point.

was it correct of me, when I hooked the new switch into the old light switch power plug?

Thanks
Jim

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…