woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
My Nephew is thinking about redoing the lighting on his 97 KDX200.. He would REALLy like to be able to see where he his going (personally, I like to keep him in the darkness as it REALLY funny to hear him coming thru the woods in the dark - WOAAAAA, OUCHHHHHH, DADBURN OAK TREESSS>>)..
Seems like the highest output stator we can find for his bike is 65/75 watts.. ANyone have any experience with GOOD lighting for the KDX??
Also, do any of you guys have experience with "helmet lights"?? Are they an adequate replacement for a good headlight or is a headlight still necessary?? Are the "Mountain Bike Type" helmet lights what you guys have been using??
I fiqure I would let my nephew go ahead and "spearment" withthis stuff and I would help him in the testing phase to glean some vital info for future use.. Never know, he may even let me use it while he is working (he works all the time soooooooo, guess who wont be in the dark this year for the "Snowy Owl" - boooohhahahahahahahahahahah :rotfl:
TKS as always gang!!
Woodsy :ride:

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Fred T should be able to give some advice on helmet lights. V man also.

I just was looking at Baja Designs, didn't see any stators for this bike, but they could probably do it. I'd think Fredette would be a great choice for a stator or stator mods.

V-man

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 13, 2000
Helmet lights are great, but I'd still want a decent headlight. On my KTM I'm running both hi/low beam which is o.k. and the helmet light makes it safe. The lights that both Fred and me use are Niterider H.I.D.'s. You can get them on sale for $300 plus $25 for the helmet mount. It's alot of money, but we use them all year between mountain biking, motorcycling and cross country skiing. The battery lasts 4 hours and seems to be very durable. On the bicycles we use one on the helmet and one on the bars.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Thanks guys!! I am sure Jon can use the info!! I will pass it on if he doesnt have time to read it himself!!! :blah:
Scott

O2B Woodsy

Dec 6, 2005
Thanks for the replies…..I like the idea of the helmet light as an additional light.

Woodsy,

I always have time to read. It’s the posting that I never seem to get around to.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
O2B Woodsy :rotfl: :rotfl:
Now thats a new one... Only my nephew would come off with something that crazy!!!!!
Welcome to THE site Jon!!!
The ONE and ONLY Woodsy - me :nener:
Oh, by the way, you may wanna test the water BEFORE you jump in and admit that you know me.. Especially when they see the stopping technique I taught you for trail blockages there Cart Wheel :laugh:

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
INCA said:
woodsy said:
O2B Woodsy :rotfl: :rotfl:
Only my nephew would come off with something that crazy!!!!!

I'm a little disappointed.

YT2

Dont be to disappointed there YT2!! I told him that I would have put O2BYT2!!!! I dont think he would have written that if he would have been with us last Thursday night :laugh:
Oh yea, Ted do I have permission to do a "ride report" on our Amherst excursion??

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
I have the Trailtech HID double helmet lights hardwired to my bike and they're enough for woods riding by themselves - draw is about 30 watts but they MUST have a minimum of 12V DC at all times or they will go out. I carry a 1 hr battery in case I need to "explore" a bit off the bike.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I remember a situation that your setup would have come in REAL handy there mate!!! Not that the headlight on the Gas Gas wasnt sufficent, you just had to be the one on the bike to see where you going or where you had been ;)
Kiwi did you ever get that headlight hooked up that you were showing me?? Exactly what was that monster??
Also, on those HID's - do you mean they go DARK if they dont have 12 volts or do they go dim??

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The monster headlight is an 8" HID from http://www.trailtech.net/ . It is flat out awesome! The helmet lights are from there too.

The HID's go DARK if there is not enough voltage.

Watching the Last Man Standing I saw a lot of guys with an HID light mounted in a regular housing with 2 small HIDs, mounted on the number plate part, that pointed left and right and slighly up so you have good "round the corner" light.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
I would LOVE to see that puppy in action mate!!
Say Kiwi, what are the Piutes like this time of year?? Will they stay rideable throughout our winter time or do they get snow?? You and Ed been doing any riding??

INCA

~SPONSOR~
Sep 1, 2003
You're asking me for permission to do a 'ride report'? I thought you said you were going to do it. Did the picture come through OK?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Baja Designs doesn't list anything for the KDX, but when I purchased their dual sport kit they said they could rewind the factory lighting coil to 100 or 120 watts. I didn't have it done, as I had already purchased a Moose 85 watt coil (made by Electrex I believe). Works alright, but I really wish I had better lighting for night rides, the 35 watt Baja light isn't the brightest, and goes extremely dim if near idle speeds.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
Woodsy - The Piutes will be snowed in for winter most years with only a few trails rideable at the lower elevations, the desert is perfect right now with moist dirt, no dust and cool temps.

I went out riding over Thanksgiving and Ed came out for a couple of days but was riding hurt as he had clipped a tree stump with his foot a week earlier.

Next time you come out, you can stay with Ed and me at our new place in Thousand Oaks - with a real bed for you too. .

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Indeed Ted, now tha you mentino it we did chat about that one.. I guess hanging around with colorful charectors has deteriorated my brain a little - know great loss though - I have lots I never use!!!
Adam - I have a sneaking hunch that your input is EXACTLY what O2B is going to end up doing for his KDX!! What you are describing IS the problem with going any other method!! He (O2B) wants to be able to see in the dark!!!
KIWI - my good buddy KIWI!! THANKS for the offer!! I have HIGH hopes of making another trip out there!! I would LOVE nothing more then to gear up (now that I KNOW what I need) and go explore that "KTM Kanyon" area with you guys again!!!!!! :aj: :cool: This time lets try a reverse approach - start in the little twon where we met Greg and do it backwards - climbing up that mountain we came down would be - well, would be UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woodsy

Wolf Child

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 30, 2005
adam728 said:
Baja Designs doesn't list anything for the KDX, but when I purchased their dual sport kit they said they could rewind the factory lighting coil to 100 or 120 watts. I didn't have it done, as I had already purchased a Moose 85 watt coil (made by Electrex I believe). Works alright, but I really wish I had better lighting for night rides, the 35 watt Baja light isn't the brightest, and goes extremely dim if near idle speeds.
this was my suggestion. there shouldnt be any reason this cant be done resonably and then you will have plenty of juice.

Top Bottom