cdnuser

May 16, 2004
When I bought my 89 KDX the lights didn't work. I have been thinking of fixing or replacing them (sockets and wiring). Anyone know what type of bulbs fit into the stock sockets? What is the wattage or voltage? Maybe I'll just replace the entire socket with a standard automotive one of the same wattage. Any ideas?

Thanks.

cdnuser

May 16, 2004
I was looking for some replacement wiring for my bike. The tail light wires are rotten. The front is in ok shape but I don;t have a bulb. I tried looking for a replacement bulb at the local automotive store but they don't carry the size I need (base of the socket is larger then any 30/25 watt bulbs that I found) I may give a call to the local bike shop.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
FWIW, the '89 did not come with a voltage regulator. As a result, blowing tail light bulbs is pretty common on the '89. Since you are replacing wiring, add a voltage regulator if you want the tail light bulb to last. The headlights usually last fine.

driftwood

Feb 11, 2004
I went through exactly the same thing. I went through a few bulbs (30W headlight - 10W tailight) before searching threads and figuring it out. 89's need a voltage regulator added. When I went to the dealer they wanted WAY to much money ($199 for the oem regulator and $30 for a 30/30 headlight). "Ouch ... I don't think so Tim".

I ended up buying an "Emgo" regulator for $20, wired it into the circuit, 25/25 12v bulbs ($5) for the headlight and it solved my problem. Canadian Dave was a big help and also recommended "Moose" as an alternative for the regulator as well.

Good luck ... we need the lights eh !

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom