Like new '03 KX250 - Oil spooge from pipe???

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
I just bought a slightly used 2003 KX250. The bike was only used a few times, and really babied by the previous owner. It looks and feels like a brand new bike! He thought that the bike was 'too fast' and he sold it for a new 250 four stroke.

...Anyway, the bike runs great, but there seems to be too much oil coming from the tail pipe. After running the bike, if you look at the tail pipe there is oil running down from the tip of the silencer to underneath the silencer by the stinger of the headpipe (it is running down the outside of the pipe). If I rev the bike on the stand there will be small dots of oil on the plastic from where the bike spit oil out of the pipe. The bike does not smoke excessively when I am riding though (this seems strange to me since oil is obviously coming from the pipe). I mixed the oil ratio to 36:1 (with Sunoco 100 octane) to try to temporarily solve the oil spitting problem. Does this sound like a jetting problem? What is the recommended cure? The bike is basically stock with a Pro Circuit headpipe, and a stock muffler. The plug looked great when I inspected it(clean, no carbon, not too wet with oil, not burned). I am fairly mechanically inclined, but new to 2-stroke bikes, and I am not familiar with jetting procedures (I will get a shop manual to try to jet it correctly if that is the problem). I live and ride in the Orlando Florida area (Crooms off road park), which is near sea level. I use the bike for aggressive trail riding only, no racing. THANKS. -Todd

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Try and lean out your pilot jet two sizes from stock. Your problem is most likely that the low speed jetting is too rich.

svttodd

Jan 14, 2005
Sorry guys, I didn't realize that there was a million posts already for 'oil spooge' problems. I didn't even think to search for this topic, because I didn't know that is was such a common problem. Like I said, I am new to 2-strokes. Thanks. I will try the jetting. -Todd

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom