oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Just the other day I was reading about an un named Moderator that needs a new engine because his son started an oil change and didn't fill the oil afterwards. I mentioned a system we use here in our house and that got me thinking that there must be hundreds of them out there and maybe seeing them might save some one

The system we use because often my son will start an oil change at the track before loading the bikes only to find there isn't enough oil or maybe no filter (sometimes I do it at home and just plain get distracted and forget to finish) is to
Duct tape the kick starter to the frame before the oil is drained and leave it there until the job is completed. If he finds that there is not enough oil or needs a filter a note is written on the tape about what needs to get finished. There have been a couple times I was ready to pack the trailer and noticed the tape was there saving us a wrecked motor.
Lo- tech but it works :nod:

stumanarama

Aug 29, 2007
Before I come back from riding at altitude, put some tape on the seat and right "jets" on it. You can write what you have in there for that particular altitude, but the main thing is to remember to change them before you ride at low alt. again.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
My method is fool-proof.
I tell the boys, "do not put wrench to bike, except in my presence".

Has not failed, yet. :>)

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
I just take a piece of paper and write "No Oil !" and stick it between the seat and gas tank.

But I rarely do an oil change without finishing.

digifox

May 25, 2006
uh. . . make sure you have everything before you do it.

and then do it all at once. . . no forgetting or not having something. . . .

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
digifox said:
uh. . . make sure you have everything before you do it.

and then do it all at once. . . no forgetting or not having something. . . .
That would be ideal but often we are racing 2 different tracks i a weekend so with an oil change Saturday for 2 bikes there might not be enough to finish on Sunday. That and I like to drain the oil when it is still warm and often just don't have time to warm it up and do the oil change when I get home (my son usually goes straight back to college from the track)
I also have a tendency when home to drain the oil and while it is finishing starting another project which sometimes causes me to forget exactly where i was at in the beginning (oldtimers disease first phase I guess)

oscaman

Jul 30, 2008
Kinda reminds me of something an old mechanic told me a long time ago : "If you loosen it, take it off and if you put it back on, tighten it" !!!!

TwoFifty

Aug 15, 2008
That sounds like a good idea to me.

I got to the track the other week only to find that id left the plug on the engine off when i was filling it up with oil, felt rather stupid doing that! haha Luckily for me the track is a 10 minute drive from me so a quick trip home to get it wasn't to bad and well worth it!

Top Bottom