23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
It has become almost instinctive to use it everywhere else on semi-permanent assemblies. Not sure why I hesitate here. Curious what others do.

Robcolo

Jan 28, 2002
Your service manual lists every bolt/fastener on the bike , gives the proper torque for each AND whether to use a locking compound !

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Yes, the manual does say where to use (and not use) a locking agent. I use it more places that it says.

It says to NOT use a locking agent in these places. Well it doesn't say TO use it, anyway.

I DON'T use it on the fork pinch bolts and/or the steering stem.

I recall reading a 'before you ride' routine that indicated the fork clamps should be checked.

....don't do that either.;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
A simple rule of thumb to follow is to never use loctite when you are threading a steel bolt into an aluminum thread. If you decide to do it anyway you'd be well advised to heat the aluminum part up to the melting point of the locking compound when you disassemble things or you risk removing the aluminum threads along with the steel bolt when you take it apart. That's a good practice even when you use loctite on a steel/steel combination but most folks are too lazy to do these types of things. :)

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
Yeah, I think it was the whole disimilar metal thing that was bugging me.

Leave it to Rich to identify the heart of the issue. ;)
Thanks, everyone.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom