Aug 8, 2005
I’m having a tough time deciding what to do. Here is the situation:

I’m 28 years old, 5’11” and 190lbs. I’ve been riding off and on (mostly off) for several years. My first bike was a 1983 CR250 money pit, and I’ve had three 125s since then. I have one good summer of racing experience in the beginner class on my last bike, a 2002 CR125. I had lots of fun, posted some decent results for me (no wins, but several “podiums”), and improved a lot that summer. I got burnt out, though, sold my bike and “retired” early in the summer of 2004. I recently came out of retirement (I love the sport and just can’t quit) and bought a 1997 CR250 from the original owner. The bike has been very well cared for, is in excellent condition, and came loads of aftermarket parts and accessories. Some of these aftermarket parts included a fresh 300cc kit (with no exhaust valve) and a Gnarly pipe. The power is very strong and abrupt down low and is hard to control. I really don’t like the power delivery at all. A dealer that I trust told me that converting it back to a 250 would help greatly in this area, and suggested I find parts on that auction site to make the conversion. I have the stock bore cylinder (with exhaust valve assembly) and head, but I figure only the exhaust valve is salvageable. I’ve found the new parts from other outlets for about $500. Also, the suspension is sprung very stiff and needs to be resprung and revalved for me. I figured this would cost an additional $500. So, that’s $1000 I need to spend on this bike.

My friends that I ride with all ride 125s/250fs, so my CR250 isn’t in their class (we could run the age-group class together, but I’m still in a no-win situation). Maybe this is just my experience talking, but I feel much more comfortable and confident on a 125/250f class machine, and I’m considering selling or trading the CR250 and going back to that class. I have ridden my CR250 some, my friends YZ250F a lot, and borrowed a CRF450 for a week-long MX camp. I have the most fun and feel the best on the 125. If I were to switch back, I believe I’d go for either the 2006 YZ125 or 125SX. I’m rather large for a 125/250f, and with my size I’d be at even a greater disadvantage on the 125 versus the 250fs, but really I’m in this sport to have fun and mix it up with my buddies. Besides, I don’t know how much the power difference would really make at the local beginner/C class level. I would need to have the 125 resprung and revalved for me, so that is another $500 on top of the price difference.

At this point, I’m inclined to switch back to the 125.

So, here are the questions: If you were me, what would you do? Would you spend the $1000 on the older bike that you might or might not like or get used to after it was done, or would you spend $3500-$4000 on the new bike that you felt better on now? If you were to choose the 125, would you choose the Yamaha (possible better suspension and handling) or the KTM (better motor)?

Any answers, advice, or direction you can offer would be greatly appreciated!

kdx220freak

Registered
Aug 23, 2005
well, if you feel more comfortable on a 125 get it. I am 15 and made a mistake to get a kdx220. The bike is huge for me. But i guess i will get use to it. So it if you like the 125 go for it. I would say get the yamaha. But thats just my opinion

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
Throw on a 12 ounce flywheel weight and see if that helps. I have one on my CR250R and noticed some difference. Or you could just not be a sissy and learn to love coming out of a corner crossed up with the front tire a foot off the ground and the back tire throwing up 20 feet of roost. It isn't really practical for going fast, but it looks cool as hell. :aj: :aj: :aj: Seriously though, I guess if I couldn't live with the bike I had, and I had the money, I would get the newer bike and pay the extra money. If money isn't really that big of deal then get what you want.

Aug 8, 2005
Well, I rode the CR250 again this past weekend and felt a lot better on it. I had fun on the bike this time. Maybe some more time on the bike is what I need.

I think I'll hang on to it for a while.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'd test ride you friends 125's and 250F's. If they feel better, than make the switch. If, over time, you out grow the smaller bike then you are ready to move up.

Just becasue you choose one bike over another doesn't mean you are stuck with that choice for life. Only until something better comes along.

sspmxc400

Aug 30, 2001
You could probably get a late model used 125 for a song right now. Maybe try both if you can afford it - overlap for a couple of months and sell the one you don't want.

If you plan to buy a new 125 - expect to keep it a while. I hear that it is tough to sell them.

Top Bottom