Look at my piston

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
That piston looks really good actually. The light brown on the bottom of the crown indicates the jetting was good. Not much carbon on the crown is also good. Only thing I can't see is if there is any scuffing. Wish my piston could've looked like that

NickInOhio

Jun 1, 2002
Moto-squid,
Two questions - #1 - Where should I look for scuffing? And what will this tell me?

#2 - When you talk about the light brown under the crown, are you talking about the inside view of the piston? What do you look for here?

Thanks,

NickInOhio

Jun 1, 2002
I have no idea how many hours are on this piston/ring. How often should they be changed during race season? And can you just replace the piston/ring, or do you need to service the cylinder to accomodate the wear?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You will get all kinds of replies on how often you should replace piston/rings, etc. I go by the compression method. I don't ride my bike real hard, so my intervals are sometimes less than once a year. I have a '00 250 that still has the original piston and rings in it! Compression is still within specs too!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…