ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
I've been out of the dirt scene for a couple of years but I'm ready to buy a new bike and want your opinions. My last bike was an '02 YZ250. I mainly ride trails/ woods and had the YZ set up pretty good for it but I want my new bike to be more potent although I'm not really interested in 4t's.

Would the 300xc or xcw be a good choice? I've read they have pretty good torque but what about top end? Are they as beastly as KTM makes them out to be?

ls1cameric

Feb 23, 2006
Heard from someone who also came off of a YZ250 to a 300xc(w) and said that it's more torquey but lacks power up top. Is this true?

If so, I might change my mind. I dont always ride WOT in 5th gear but there are times that I do want to just plain haul ass on fire roads and I dont want 250's passing me up if I'm on 300cc bike.

Also, how do the 300's hang with the big bore thumpers? Are they in the same league or would a 450 thumper spank the 300 on trails? I know a lot depends on the rider but say if we had equal riders. one on a 300xc and the other on say a crf450r? Would they be failry close in relation. Sorry if I'm trying to compare apples to oranges here.

2strokesrock

Oct 7, 2008
I think that the 300 would be faster, evan if it is'nt the 300 is going to be cheaper to maintain and service.
somone else should be able to help you better

LOL Apples(red honda)oranges(orange KTMs)

endurotuff

Nov 8, 2004
"I do want to just plain haul ass on fire roads and I dont want 250's passing me up if I'm on 300cc bike."
Go with a TM Racing EN300, maybe a CR500 might pass you but not many of those around. :ride:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom