looking for best enduro time keeper/clock

Kzoo

Mar 26, 2004
I am looking at running a couple AMA Enduro races. I am in the family Enduro but I would like something to help me run a lot faster in the AMA events.
Looking for a good time keeper / helper.
Something that would tell me faster or slower (most likely it will say you need to go a lot faster)
thanks

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
www.dugasengineering.com has their Watchdog on sale for $245 right now. I have one and have been very pleased with it.

www.icoracing.com is has the Checkmate and Checkmate XL (and a page to compare them for the differences)

I have never used the Checkmates but know several who do and they seem to like them.

When I was researching the two it was the lower price and more robust design that pushed me to the Watchdog.

The Checkmates do have all the info on one screen which is nice. I have heard some say that they are a little harder to program/make changes to when things go wrong as they sometimes do in a race.

Bigbird

Aug 29, 2000
+1 for the Watchdog. I have had all the ICO versions, and the Watchdog is at least equal to or better in quality. IMO, it is a very logical, intuitive program to use in timekeeping enduros. Another plus is the 5000 hr battery life. In normal use, you won't need to replace the battery.

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
I have one of the original checkmates, it has had the battery changed twice in it due to years of use, I typically get 2-3years of life from the batteries. I also have updated it to the latest firmware (for free) and the "click" buttons.

If you are new to Enduro format, the checkmate has it hands down with its late early bar on the lower display.

That being said the AMA National Enduro series has completely done away with "real timekeeping" so it may not be worth the investment. I have done enough Enduro timekeeping that a simple odo/roll chart/watch works for me 98% of the time. The only conditions that will get me is when a club puts together a race where the checks are in sections that I can make riding at 95% or better pace at something other than 18, 24 or 20 mph average.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Kzoo, most of the enduros in our district are timekeepers. We usually have one event each year that is a National and it provides a break from the timekeeping event. As a newbie to the Sunday events, an investment in a computer is worthwhile.

DL - good luck with round 3 of the National Enduro Series. I wish I could make it down again. Your club provides a quality event.

Mike

D Lafleur

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 11, 2001
fatherandson said:
DL - good luck with round 3 of the National Enduro Series. I wish I could make it down again. Your club provides a quality event.

Mike

Mike, you are going to miss the best one yet. We have some extras for the riders and spectators. :laugh:

Not having you guys there to show our colors (LSU) is a bit disappointing. Alan is coming, hop a ride.

Darin

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
D Lafleur said:
If you are new to Enduro format, the checkmate has it hands down with its late early bar on the lower display.

That is the one feature that I wish my Watchdog had.

Darin, I think it was the year before last one of my buddies went to your race when it was part of the Blackjack series and had a great time. I wish I had the time and money to make it. Nothing like getting to ride somewhere new. I hope your National is a huge success.

Derek

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Find out what rules the Enduros you plan on running are using. If it's AMA National/FIM rules then you don't need a computer, a simple watch will do.

See the other recommendations if you're racing enduros running Brand X rules.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
D Lafleur said:
Not having you guys there to show our colors (LSU) is a bit disappointing. Alan is coming, hop a ride.

Darin
Alan is probably traveling "like a rockstar" - flying in. I just got back from Bike Week - maybe next time.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom