Lowering a kdx to fit me better...

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
Since I am only 5'6" and about 145lbs, how can I lower my bike so I can handle it a little better? According to my service manual, it appears you can't adjust the rear spring a whole lot - between 103-123 mm? if I remember right. I adjusted this to about 105, and softened the compression and rebound a little less than the nominal setting in the service manual. Anyone else out there vertically challenged that can help me a little? I just want to be able to "throw" my bike around a little better. It's a '99 KDX200 to be exact - Thanks, Dan

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I tried lowering the sag in the rear to the max amount. I'm not real pleased with the softness of the suspension and loss of travel right now. As an alternative, check out Kouba Links as a good alternative.

Once you have lowered the rear, the triple clamp can be lowered on the forks an equal amount. This way you don't disturb the steering geometry. You'll have to watch the clearance between the top of the tubes and the bottom of the handlebars. I put some 1/8" spacers between the triple clamp and handlebar mounts to get an actual 7/8" lower on the forks.

Another tip is to either cut an inch or so off the seat or drill a bunch of holes in it to soften it up.

BEWARE WHEN TINKERING WITH THE FORKS. IF YOU LOWER THE FRONT MORE THAN THE REAR YOU COULD SERIOUSLY IMPAIR STEERING. HEAD SHAKE CAN OCCUR.

(How's that for a disclaimer?)

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
Do a search in this forum. There are multiple posts about lowering KDX's. (But no doubt CC will still reply again lol)
Don't lower it via the spring however. Get the correct spring for your weight.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
gwcrim & michelle already said what you need to know.

http://www.koubalink.com/kdxspring.html

is their online adx. Just came back online recently. Note what they say about a different rear spring possibly being required with their longer links? That will work to your advantage 'cuz the oem 5.0kg/mm shock spring is likely a bit stiff for you (@145lbs).

Changing the height of your bike by completely hosing the sag will ....well...completely hose your bike's handling! Just as michelle sez.

Yep...I had to say something!! Wanted to post the koubalink adx, anyway.

So glad to give some (!michelle!) the chance to make sport of my verbiage. ;)

John Harris

Apr 15, 2002
You can lower the tubes in the triple clamp by about 3/4". You should lower the back end to match. Check the lowered tubes (stick out of the triple clamps on top) to be sure the fender does not get into the front tire. I don't think 3/4" will be a problem, but too much is a disaster waiting for you to go over the bars. Taking off your tool bag will make the bike easier to get off and on, especially when you are tired -lol.

dirtbikedan

Dec 4, 2002
Thanks guys, I am looking into the Kouba links. That tool bag does tend to get kicked quite a bit (getting on and off) toward the end of a long day of riding. LoL

sledman

Oct 23, 2002
(208) 853-5550...ask for Curtis. He is the service manager. You can send your forks and shock to him, and he will perform the mods (internally) that will lower the bike for you. Good guys.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom