Coach in ND

Mar 19, 2001
I decided to go out an do some motocross this weekend to get ready for the upcoming District 23 off-road season. After riding an 400 SX last year I was curious how my new MXC would work on the moto track. The race was at a really hilly natural terrain motocross track in western ND with some pretty big jumps up and down the hills. I would bottom the forks at least a couple times a lap, but the bike was very stable and track through the roughest of sections perfect.

Before the race I considered taking out the battery to shave off some weight, thinking the E-start was not necesary. I left it in because of lack of time to do the job. During the first moto I was running 3rd with three guys breathing down my neck when I lost the front end in a muddy corner. The bike stalled but I was able to pick the bike up, start it before it was upright, and take off before loosing a position. Without the BUTTON I would have dropped at least 3 spots trying to find neutral and fire it back up. The magic button saved the day, I was able to finish the moto in third and take 4th overall for the day.

IMO the MXC (or EXC) is very capable for motocross. I am running the clickers 5 clicks out but am running stock springs and oil heights. I weigh 180 w/ gear and race 250 Intermediate.

As far as the E-start goes, I will never be without it again. I may purchase an SX in the future, but It will be equiped with the E-start kit. I had the opportunity to ride my MXC back to back with last years SX on a moto track. I was not able to tell the weight difference between the two. I have my MXC set up with an SX tank and seat so they both had the same ergonomics. For those of you buying SX's to save weight, your loosing out. I have been there and thought the RFS's started so good you didn't need the button. I stand corrected, the button is the only way to go, I only wish I would have listened earlier.

Coach

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
That's awsome. Makes me want to go out and buy an e-start bike (wait...I have no money). Does the battery power ever wear down?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
Thanks for the post, Coach. Very interesting coming from a former SX owner. That magic button has saved me so many times that I would never do without it, either.

yzeater,
No, the battery never runs down unless you install the optional radiator fan and, even then, it takes the fan running a lot to drain the battery. Oh, it can run down a bit if you use it to start the bike when it'd cold, like 15-20f and below. It's best to kickstart the bike when it's that cold. Or at least that's my experience.

Top Bottom