PhantomRider

Mar 6, 2002
When I first started riding dirtbikes in high school, Maico's were awesome machines. I've always been intrigued by them. So, now many years later, I'm toying with the idea of getting one. I've found an '82 250 for $750 that is running. I haven't seen it yet, so don't know for sure what kind of condition it's in.

I was wondering if this is a good deal or not so good. I was also wondering how parts availability is and if there are any resources for maintenance manuals.

Thanks.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
82 Maico's

Your choice is a great one with the exception of the 82 vintage Maico's were some of the worst bikes the German factory ever produced. Poor shock's were the main problem, Cortacosio? Not sure of the spelling but I't was reported that the fit of the shock in the frame was BAD along with incorrect travel length caused binding and bending and broken shocks in many cases.
Most were replaced with superiour olins units by the factory at costs that helped lead to the demise of the fine bikes this factory once produced.
Best advise STAY AWAY FROM 82's true Maico magic can still be found in some of there older units. 81 490 was by far the most popular and many are still out there and can still run with todays modern bikes given the right track.
Feel free to e-mail me and I will hook you up on places to get your fix.
Maico Bro's. Maico Maddness and a host of outher sites that deal in machines from days gone by.:cool:

OldMaiconut

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 28, 2001
I had also heard that 82 was not the best year for Maico's. But even then, some were ok and some not. The shock problem is well known as is a heat treating problem with wheel hubs. All problems were fixed in 83, but it was too late by then. As to parts... they are available, but can be pricey. ($150.00 for a piston kit!) Rick at NW Maico can fix you up. (541)389-6112

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Some people say that if an 82 Maico has survived this long, it was not one of the defective ones. Makes sense to me.

storytime

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
82's?

True but along with the bad news that year 250 was weak! sorry road them for many many years. still my fav's are 81 490, 83 490. and then any old 74.5 or 75,76, 250's or 440's or 400's or 450's and the AW's were exceptional.

PhantomRider

Mar 6, 2002
Thanks for all the input. I think I'll hold out for now and keep looking. I most likely will get an RMX since I mostly trail ride, but I want to get an older dirtbike as well. Probably, mostly for nastalgic reasons. Thanks also for the link.

geo166

Jan 20, 2002
82 maico 250

i've owned quite a few maico's over the years and still do.
a 82 250 is not a very desirable model.
73-81 would be better years, are you going to ride this bike or just fix it up to look at?

PhantomRider

Mar 6, 2002
Thanks for the input. I am looking for something to fix up and ride. I also appreciate all the links to the vintage dirt bike sites. It sure brings back some good memories. I'll wait buying a Maico until I can find an earlier model. Thanks again for all the info.

Top Bottom