Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
US MAICO, based in Alabama. IN CASE you have not heard yet, Ronnie Smith an old Maico rider and dealer has been importing new production bikes for a couple of years. He has been in enduros a couple of times and claims the bike performed well.

Alex Kostler, (also KTM dealer) based in Leverkusen, Germany has purchased the remains of the Maico designs and parts from the previous Dutch owners and is building them again with the help of H. Walgenbach. Hermann Walgenbach has been designing 2-stroke engine for many years, also was a Maico dealer in Germany in 70s and 80s and worked for famed Zabel racing (sidecar engines). He redesigned the Maico engine significantly in 1998. Kostler and R Smith claim that they have fixed the assembly problems that had plagued prior models.

You can find more info on these sites:

www.maico-bikeworld.de (Kostler's site in German)
www.usmaico.com (R Smith's US site)
www.maicomadness.com (lots of historical info)
www.maicoonly.com
www.maico-letters.de (German Maico hardcore friends)
www.maicobrothers.com

We would like to hear from anyone who has ridden one of the '98 or later versions.... will Maico become a factor once again?

Pokie

Lemming

Looking for single women!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Yep, and the importer is just down the road. I've seen the new Maico's at Mill Creek MX on a few occasions and they look great. Evertime I speak with him at MillCreek (I think it's Ronnie) he offers to let me ride the bike. If I see him on Sunday, I'll take him up on it and give you a report.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
....I was surprised to find a website dedicated to vintage road racing where they cover all types of current vintage teams, including a Maico Road Racing Teamat at http://www.classic-motorrad.de/maicostart.htm; hey, they even have a Maico Band.... as in music band! I dont think there are any new production road bikes from Maico!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Pokie
I dont think there are any new production road bikes from Maico!

That new 620 Black Magic SuperMoto on the German Maico site looks pretty road worthy to me :)

Speedway

Jan 23, 2002
Thats really good news,
I remember as a boy at the famed Red Bud track and trails in Michigan seeing those beautiful red machines just dreaming of the day...
You guys made my day, thanks for the info
Speedway :cool:

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
a *******esque retort: ... it depends on how you define "road racing"..... can it hang with a GSX-R ?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Very interesting post, Pokie!

Ever notice how some of the new hairstyles resemble the old maico heads? :)

usmaico

Jun 7, 2002
Lemming, Sorry but that was a friend. Terry on a 2002 250 Cross. Not being a motohead, I usually stay in the woods. Have ridden the 2002 250 Enduro in a couple of enduros (Charleston, SC and Clanton, AL) both killers for an old man that only rides occasionally, and a Maplesville HS and comparing the Maico to my KTM 250 EXC, it works great! Still got some jetting issues we are contending with, but getting very close. (How did the Maico importer end up with a KTM? That's another story)
Terry just broke his ankle, so it may be a while before he is out riding again, but next time, take it for a test spin.
Ronnie

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Pokie
... it depends on how you define "road racing"..... can it hang with a GSX-R ?

In the tight stuff I'll bet it will hand a GSXR it's hat :)

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Ronnie,

Look forward to riding the Maico next time I get a chance. Terry may remember me as I'm probably the only one that shows up at Mill Creek on a GG MC250.

I'm in the Clanton club and worked the first reset. I don't remember seeing a Maico come throught but with over 400 riders we were pretty busy. Let me know if you ever want to go to Clanton to ride for fun. We ride there most Sundays.

bultokid

Jun 23, 2000
hope to have a new one soon,nothing like a open class two-stroke!!! especially if your 6'3" 225lbs. my '89 and '85 still competitive in vet class but nothing like new iron to pick you up and make you want to ride. yhe KTM 380 rips but still motor doesnt pull and have the smoothness of the 500. hey ronnie tried reaching you other day, the dealer i mentioned to you is great guy will be good for the brand.

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
Ronnie/Lemming/bultokid...... I was hoping to read about riding experiences. Any comments on the new generation of Maicos?

Lemming

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 19, 2000
Pokie,

I've been out to MillCreek quite a few times since this thread started but no Terry and therefore no Maico :whiner:

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
I saw a new 320 Enduro at my local GasGas dealer last week It looks interesting. Maybe somebody will buy it and get things started.

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
My '01 500 mx was a great bike...as far as being back,they were never gone.Numbers were very low,in '00 there were roughly 25 units made period.Quality is first rate,power unbelievable! Go to www.maicobrothers.com and you will see my 500. I also had a '98 250,nice bike great powerband.The '01's are much better do to the WP fork and shock.The Reiger on the 250 was good but the Zoke fork ate seals and bushings.I like the footpeg design much more on the '00's and '01's.The hydraulic clutch is a nice touch on the 500.If anybody is interested in more info and/or would like me to scan the '02 to brochure,let me know. Long Live Maico!!

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
hey Zilla...I am not sure about the links directly from this page,just type in the www's and see what happens.This should work or if there are problems for some reason,I'll be able to give you the run down.

Top Bottom