Maico Motor

MAICO RIDER

Nov 24, 2003
Eric, would it be worthwhile to have my motor ported? I run hare scrambles in Florida with a 39mm stock flatslide Keihin , v-force reed block assembly, with race gas. Looking for more mid and top end. Thanks in advance.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I see that no one has answered, probably due to the rarity of that engine.

I believe that modern porting software and techniques could assist such an old engine. However I am not in the know with regard to that engine. From what I have read, Maico did a good job in providing a wide torque curve without a powervalve.

I ran a 490 Yamaha 20 years ago, lets see if I can remember what the specs were. I believe the exhaust port duration was 194+ degrees, the transfer duration was near 134 and exhaust port width was set at 68% of bore width. In addition, the exhaust port had the classic bread loaf shape that worked so well to allow enough port time*area while still maintaining piston and ring support. I remember it to be a upper midrange monster.

Chris

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Tom - I talked to Eric about this on Saturday and he had a number of suggestions on ways to improve the Maico. I thought he had already replyed, but I'll follow up with him and ask him to give you his thoughts.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…